Friday, January 7, 2022

a few favorites


Robin of The New Dharma Bums asked if I had any favorites of all the work I've done and the answer is yes so I thought I'd do a post of some of my favorites. There's quite a few actually. Most of my boxes, several of the cups, several small sculptures. I was planning on finishing the luna moth piece today, well, the cold work as I intend to use some oil paint to add a few tiny details I couldn't do in the glass, but it turned cold again Thursday night and thankfully it stayed above freezing but it never got out of the 40˚s out there and no heat in the shop so I worked on this post instead.

Here's a general overview of the evolution of my work in this technique. I started out doing small sculpted bowls 6”w x 3”h x 6”d. We made a reproduction mold of each design so I could pull duplicate waxes. By the time I tired of doing them I had 11 different designs with the intention of doing 25 of each but in different color palettes. Some only had a few made as they didn't prove to be good sellers, some I got about halfway through, and some I completed before I put them all aside to do different, one of a kind work. Next came the tall vases and larger bowls but after a few successes the failure rate finally made me abandon vessels. After that I did the cups until I ran out of ideas for that series. Then I started on the boxes completing the last one in 2019 and those may have run their course as well as I don't have an idea for a new one right now, well, I do but we'll see if I pursue it. I also started doing small botanical sculptures during this time eventually moving to framed pieces for the wall or in stands which is where I am now. Those include the Botanica Erotica series and the Drowned Feather series neither of which has resulted in any sales save two. These bodies of work were not necessarily sequential as I would work on one series or another as I was inspired and then there are the individual pieces that don't fit into any series.

So here's a few of my favorites. This is the first design I did for the small bowls, 6" x 3"x 6".

There were 14 vases, 6” tall. 


I did 12 in the Cup series, about 4" x 4" x 4".



I've done 12 boxes and it was hard to pick just these two because I really like just about all of them. The heron box is the most recently completed and by far the most ambitious; 8.5" x 9" x 4.5". Bee box 5" x 5" x 4".

Small sculptures, first two images longest dimension 4"; last image about 6" x 8" excluding the stand.

For the wall, 1st picture 4 of the Botanica Erotica series (19 pieces), 4.5" x 4.5" x 1.5" and 6.5" x 6'5" x 1.5". The Robin is 6" x 6".

The Drowned Feathers (10 pieces), top 11" x 11", bottom long dimension 4".


And of course, my newest work is the trumpet flower pieces which you've seen and the luna moth which isn't finished yet. If you are interested in seeing a larger body of work after this, you can visit my Pinterest page. I have a website that is woefully out of date but the link is on my sidebar. I do need to update it soon. 



15 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting these photos. Your artwork is so beautiful. I love seeing the different styles and shapes. And, I absolutely love that you have a Robin piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH LORDIE, Ellen- that was a feast! Thank you for posting them all. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thank you. The most I've seen at one time, one place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is like going to the exhibit I went to in my dream! Thank you so much for showing beautiful examples from your many series. I don't remember seeing the 6" green and yellow vase before and am quite fond of it. Your work inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredible work, Ellen. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, ellen. They are all just wonderful! Such talent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. These are so lovely. Those bees are wonderful. I love the vases as well. I realize that you remind me of the art nouveou period which is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic post! It is such a joy to see all of these on one page and then I went to your Pinterest page. Your talent is worthy of your artist spirit and artist eye. And the work involved in each of these is obvious even though in some ways, it would appear that each work simply grew of its own accord.
    Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your work is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing your lovely art. It is wonderful to see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice overview. It's great to revisit some pieces I'd seen in the past and see a few that I don't remember ever seeing before. It's interesting to see how your work has evolved over time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant, this is an art show online.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think of all this gallery display, I like best the framed flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There were several here I've not seen. The bowls are appealing, as are the boxes, but I think the drowned feather pieces are my favorites. I can't imagine why you have a single one of those left! It's interesting, too, to read your observations about how you transitioned from one sort of project to another. I think all artists do that. Sometimes its boredom, sometimes a natural evolution into an unexpected area, but it's always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are just fabulous. I'm still in love with that moonflower one (I think that's what it was called).

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.