Friday, September 11, 2020

the continuing corruption of our government and destruction of our democracy


I'm testy today. Was testy yesterday. It's all feeling like too much. Every day a new revelation of the horror that is Trump and none of it is enough for his supporters to abandon him. He knew in January how bad the virus is, was going to be, and he purposely did nothing and lied about it for 6 months, is still lying about it, because, he says, he didn't want to create panic. People dying in droves was apparently just fine with him as long as the stock market didn't crash. Because that's the only panic he didn't want to create since he sees the stock market as crucial to his re-election to a job he doesn't like and didn't want in the first place.

And if that's not enough Barr and his corrupt DOJ is now going to defend Trump in the defamation lawsuit brought by the woman who accuses him of rape, a case that could be settled immediately if Trump would just give over a sample of his DNA, which anyone would do if they were innocent. So now us taxpayers are paying for Trump's defense in a case where he is obviously guilty.

And if that's not enough, there is a new whistleblower complaint from Brian Murphy, former Acting Undersecretary for Intelligence and Analysis, accusing DHS acting secretary Chad Wolf of twice telling him to withhold reporting on potential Russian threats to the election because it made Trump look bad and to focus on threats from China and Iran instead on orders from the White House national security advisor Robert O'Brian. Murphy was also told to downplay the domestic threat posed by white supremacists and focus on leftist movements like antifa and to modify intelligence assessments to make sure they aligned with Trump's public statements. When Murphy refused to do so he was demoted. Let me repeat that...Murphy was ordered to stop investigating Russia and to lie in intelligence reports.

All this and still Republicans won't denounce him. No wonder my afib has been acting up. The past week, week and a half, it's been very active, every day or day and a half, episodes that last half a day, not intense but after 6 hours I just want to sit on the couch. So I had my check-up with the electrophysiologist today, it had been 6 months since the last one. I had to call from the parking lot to let them know I was there and they would call me back when they had a room ready for me but I was able to go right up, the waiting room was empty. The nurse took my temperature then took me to the room where she took my blood pressure, a little high she said, yeah, I know, I could feel it going up on the drive in I told her. Then she did an ekg which was good. Then the doctor came in and I told him about the uptick in episodes and he said that if it keeps up we may have to do the ablation, which I really don't want to do, I said, to which he replied, nobody does. I told him I thought it was probably stress from paying too much attention to the horrible news and that I was trying to address that. I've also been thinking about the procedure more, I told him, but not until sometime next year. He stressed once again that the condition was not life threatening, just a quality of life issue and to come back in 3 months. If the current episodes settle down during that time, good, if not, we'll talk more seriously about the procedure.

That little cool front did make it down here after all. Not as cool as predicted but it was 68˚ yesterday morning, and this morning, at 8 AM and low humidity. So I took advantage of it yesterday and got the trimmer out and got it started by myself yay and trimmed the house yard til I ran out of gas, refueled and trimmed over at the shop yard around Pam's house and the gate and the rose bush and the banana trees and yellow bells til I ran out of gas. My right arm is really sore today.

So, what else, I've been working on my website again this week tackling the recent work gallery page which is so out of date. After the first day I was so confused trying to remember which folders all the changed files and images were in so I finally created two new folders, one for images and one for pages, to put all the changed things in until I get them uploaded.


Three happy making things in the yard...the rangoon creeper is continuing to bloom profusely on both sides of the fence,


the oxblood lilies are shooting up, yesterday there was just one,


and my little redbud tree in a pot, which nearly died this summer because I wasn't watering it enough and needs to be root pruned and repotted with fresh soil, sprouted new growth after I dragged it into the shade under the magnolia tree. I had noticed one day that the leaves were all limp and shriveling and so I gave it a good watering but by the next day or so all but 3 leaves had turned irrevocably brown, dead. That's when I moved it into the shade. I'll repot it this fall but I won't prune it back til spring just in case the branches are still alive. It's about 7' tall and is at least 20 years old, could be older, I just don't remember what year I got it as a freebie when it was about 4” tall during one of the many Trees For Houston giveaways.


I'm amazed that it's still alive.




18 comments:

  1. You have had one heck of a week. Get your news via websites and not the internet. CNN repeats all the lies ad nasuem. PBS seems to be more balanced, but the news is so sad that event they are upset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that creeper. It's so beautiful. Where did you get it? I want one.
    I've been having palpitations something awful too. I called my cardiologist and she said stop watching the news. Right now my palps have stopped and I'm feeling better. I meditated an hour earlier so that helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it about 4 years ago either at the garden club plant sale or more likely at a nursery. I tried to root some cuttings but the both failed. I have promised one that I found where a branch rooted itself or maybe a runner underneath. I'll look for another one and I'll earmark it for you.

      Delete
  3. On the whole, Ellen, I mostly feel like it's too much. I cannot bear the news, not even reading it on the news feed. Plus, I made the most awful slo cooker of vegetarian bouillabaisse from a NYT recipe for supper. It's in a big plastic spinach container from my recycle, freezing in the freezer, so I can pitch it next pickup day. Would I could send it to DJT, disguised as a cheeseburger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. take a vacation from ...all of it! Press some flowers put your feet up and watch something good on netflix, take an asprin and call me in the morning

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Linda Sue's advice.
    As to your redbud tree- it's a wonder ANY of us are still alive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's wise to assume the news is bad then don't follow it in detail. It's no use allowing our own health to deteriorate my dwelling on the bits we can't change. Just put energy where we can help. It's easy to be drawn in, though, that's true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. tRump is going to kill just as many with anxiety as he is doing with Covid. My head almost blew up when I heard him say that he didn’t want to panic anybody and wanted to be a cheerleader. I heard that during my 30 minute rationing of news.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't handle the news anymore. Between Trump and the fires, I'm exhausted down to my weary bones. I hope things calm down in some way for all of us. Take care there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's all depressing and grim. There's very little to inspire hope. What's particularly bad is the general level of stupidity in the population that is buying in to Qanon theories about people eating babies, drinking their blood and on and on. It's just perplexing as to how did we get there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We’re leaving for the beach tomorrow & I’m thinking of taking a break from social media altogether. We shall see. I definitely need a break!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have the handwriting of an artist. The news makes me hang my head in disbelief, not at what Trump is capable of, there is no bottom to that, but at the fact that so many are enabling him, that is the real kick in the gut. Some days we just need to turn off the news.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was cheered by the redbud tree story.

    Today, even the smaller local papers in my corner of the world are reporting on Roger Stone telling trump to arrest Obama and bring in Marshall law if he loses the election.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know it’s probably not possible for you to do but you need to keep the news at arms’ length for a bit. You can’t change anything anyway except when it’s time to go to the ballot box.

    We have constant news in the more leftish papers about Trump’s misdeeds too and it’s getting to be quite scary but we can do so much less than you can, so it’s healthier to stand back. We have the misdeeds of our own govt to live with too, we have a poundshop Trump in Johnson whose grasp of facts and int. law seems to be shrinking.

    Look at your beautiful flowers and do yard work (within healthy limits), it’s all that stands between us and panic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I too get my news via Paper press (online). The NY Times and the Washington Post give the best news yet. Afib isn't worth the hassle of Trump. (I have it too.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't advocate living in denial, but there are times when I think it's best to step away from the news and focus on life at hand -- the garden, work, family, pets, whatever. I read the paper every day but I try not to ruminate about the contents, no matter how furious they make me. After all, there's only so much each of us can individually do. (That said, we NEED to do what we can!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, and re. your redbud tree, can you put it in the ground? Seems like it would do better that way...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could, I should but we have so many trees already on this half acre I don't know where I could plant it that it wouldn't shade my few sunny areas.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.