Saturday, November 2, 2019

elbow grease, a tired back, an intact box, and a monster


We picked up the table and chairs Friday, moved the old table and chairs to the shop until Jade can take possession, and set up the new table. Later Marc pointed out that the top of the table was sticky. So I got out the Murphy's oil soap and cleaned it. Oh man, was it dirty, didn't look dirty, but the cleaning rag said otherwise. Cleaned it again with the oil soap. Still dirty and sticky. Wiped it down with a wet cloth, dried it. Still sticky. Damn, they must have decades of Pledge on this table. Switched over to Simple Green, twice and then wiped it down with water. Much much better but still a little tacky. Back to the oil soap and a scrubbie, twice. Wiped it down once more and dried it. Success! But I removed any finish it might have had (most of it anyway). Next I oiled it down with lemon oil and it looks and feels great but it's going to take several applications of lemon oil. We're not going to leave the leaf in as it is nearly twice as wide as the leaf in the old table and horizontal surfaces in this house soon become covered with stuff.


Today I went out to run some errands...get more pecans cracked (I picked up almost 6 more gallons yesterday and another gallon today and there are still many of the ground and they are still falling) and get more lemon oil among other things. So of course, the grocery store didn't have any, plenty of choices of Pledge though, so that meant a trip to the Evil Empire aka Walmart, the store of last resort, where they did have it but which gave me another reason not to shop there. On a busy Saturday they had two checkers, two. But they have at least 6 do it yourself stations with something I have never seen before...a conveyor belt like the checkers have. I had one item, there were lines at the two stations so I used the DIY which I prefer not to use because I don't work there and the machine shorted me four cents in change. Pissed me off. Since there was no attendant I had to go to the customer service desk. Four cents wasn't going to break me but it was the principal of the thing.

The weather has warmed up and we've had a couple of really nice days so I went out to finish my weeding and got it all done except for some nut grass in two small spots but while I was digging up nut grass in the bed where the poppies grow every year I unearthed this monster...


That's an earthworm, at least that's what I think it is, and it was about 24” long and nearly as big around as my pinky finger. I have never seen anything like this before and I'm wondering where the fuck it came from and it's lucky I didn't accidentally chop it in half with the trowel. It was one of those Whoa! What the fuck! moments as I initially just unearthed a four inch section.

The heron box came out of the kiln Monday and I just now cleaned it off after letting it sit all week.


The cracks appear to have mended though you can see where they were in a few spots plus the mold cracked in front so there's a bit of flashing (a raised line where the glass oozed into the crack) which will have to be ground off, the bottom will have to be ground flat again though not nearly so much as the first time, and the recess for the inlay has three blobs that will need to be ground out where there were bubbles caught in the investment. So we'll see if it survives the cold work.

Well, it's getting on to couch time. I have to brave the gauntlet and drive into shopping mecca tomorrow to get another one of the frames and another trinket box and a small piece of plywood and get serious about finishing some stuff for the open house.

Maybe Monday.





15 comments:

  1. That earthworm is insane. Whoa! Love the heron box - that blue is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your four cent troubles, haha. I would give that worm more that your four cents that is fo sho! WOW, what a meal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shame there's so much work left on the heron box, and on the whole show, for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was waiting to hear how the heron box turned out. I feel so invested! Hope the cold work goes perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That beautiful box! The color is like a block of ocean off of Cozumel. My favorite!
    I've seen earthworms like that. Quite shocking!
    Well, you had to earn your bargain, I guess. I bet the table is silky smooth and clean now. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That might have been a small snake, as there is one that looks like worm. Usually browner in hue, though. I am glad your heron is reaching completion. Are you happy with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's what I thought at first except that I dug it up out of the ground and it didn't have anything that looked like a head on either end. well, still a lot of work before the box is finished and to be honest, I'll probably be disappointed because of all the time and trouble and work. well, maybe not disappointed but probably not thrilled. if I had the time and the money and the expertise I'd make long heron legs and feet and have them cast out of bronze for the feet, sort of like Howl's Moving Castle.

      Delete
  7. That is a "Texas" earthworm. You know everything is bigger here in Texas. I have my fingers crossed nothing goes wrong with the heron box. We had a church group come by and they picked up all my pacans. They prep and sell them in bags for Thanksgiving pecan pies at their church.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is that a night crawler? I've heard of night crawlers but I'm not sure what makes a worm a night crawler -- except I think it's big! We have worms here in England called slow worms that are also very large.

    The heron box is looking great! (Thank goodness!) And the table looks great too! I think sometimes old finish gets that sticky feeling and you've just got to take it off -- as you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, not a night crawler. just a giant earthworm. I googled it and got pictures but from other countries.

      Delete
  9. Great news about the heron box, I am sending my best hopeful wishes that the final steps will make it all worth while.
    We have earthworms like that and they survive being cut by a spade, one becomes two etc. Here earthworms are a sign of healthy soil. They have quite the fan club.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Splendid news about the heron box. The table -- oh my, what a lot of labor to scrub away years of goo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good lord, that earthworm made my hair stand on end. That is the behemoth of earthworms! I am so glad that the heron box worked out - onward and upward! The table is beautiful - but what an ordeal to clean it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The few gardeners I know, and some native plant people, would give you the award of the year for healthy soil. Earthworms apparently are *the* sign of health, and that one you found is healthy, for sure. That's really a nice looking table. things like that are a pain to clean, but they're still beautiful once they're spiffed up. There are some finishes that get sticky like that with age. I think the humidity affects them, for one thing. I have a couple of chairs like that. If I leave the house open when its raining or humid, I'll stick to them. Otherwise, they're fine.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.