Thursday, May 9, 2019

spring segues into summer and a future big change


Actually it was more like took a giant leap. We went to bed one night early last week and it was still late spring and woke up the next day in summer. It backed off some a few days later, been overcast and getting rain, 2 1/2” Friday night and another 1 1/2” Tuesday with more supposed to come and yesterday we were back to summer. The heavy rain passed us by this time pounding towns east of us with some flooding. But temperatures and humidity aside the spring bloomers are just about done and the summer ones are starting up. All but a few of the easter lily buds have opened, the poppies are gone by and the larkspur is past prime and both going to seed. The love-in-a-mist has been done for a while and is nothing but seed pods that haven't dried out yet. The transition is always scraggly and the county came by and mowed down the bluebonnet plants on the street side of the ditch that were going to seed. We usually leave them until they have all popped so I hope they will go ahead and mature for next year.

The purple coneflowers are in full bloom, the day lilies are starting up, the gardenia is in full bloom as are the clasping leaved coneflowers, and the tallow trees are blooming.

you wouldn't think that the nondescript tallow tree blooms would be so sweetly fragrant but they are

I cleared out the poppies from the bed against the fence because I don't necessarily want them volunteering in there again and I needed the space to get some summer bloomers in there. 


I did get all the plants from the second trip to the nursery and the garden club plant sale in the ground or in bigger pots last Sunday. The zinnia plants from the seeds a fellow blogger sent me are about 8+” tall. It will be a while before everything starts to be showy. 

someone was curious about the bat-face cuphea, the flowers are small, perhaps 3/4" but the bees and butterflies like them

Another big change may be headed our way besides the change of seasons. I've written often about the 12 acre field behind us, most recently when it was in full bloom with indian paintbrush. Soon after we bought this place we sort of appropriated part of it, mowing about another 20'-25' and that is where the burn pile was and where the compost pile and wildflower mini-meadow is. Well, last year or so that field was up for sale. The sign stayed up for a couple of months and then one day was gone and the status quo remained so we figured the person/s took it off the market. Unfortunately, it sold which I found out last Sunday when I went outside to putz around and saw two Asian men standing there just behind my property. I grabbed the dog and threw her inside and went back out just as they were leaving by cutting through my backyard and my other neighbor's side yard to get to the street where they were parked. I walked toward them and asked what they were doing.

So, yes, they had bought the field but had been too busy to do anything with it until now and were looking it over but weren't sure where the property line was; they had tried to access it from the street (the one my street dead ends into) but the overgrowth (pecan trees, wild grape, trash trees, poison ivy, and god only knows what all that makes up the wild space that surrounds the east end of the field on three sides) was so dense 


they couldn't attempt to get through. They hadn't made any decisions about what they were going to do with the field, maybe a trailer park oh joy but they were still considering their options. I pointed out the stake that shows where the property line is, that we had obviously been using part of the field which he replied was not a problem and thanked me for taking care of the property and then they left. I looked out Monday and they were back standing in the same spot only this time there were four of them.

Now it remains to be seen where this will go, what they will decide on to make their investment pay off, and when. Three things come to mind...the trailer park he mentioned with even more spotlights beaming into my backyard and house, apartments, or low income small houses the last two of which come with battles with the city government concerning septic/sewer systems, something they won't need with a trailer park. Whatever they do we will lose that section where the wildflowers and compost pile are unless by some miracle they decide that the back half of the field isn't worth clearing and build on the front half of the field, something that's not likely to happen

our property line is right on front edge of the wildflowers  in the middle

standing at the edge of the unmown field looking across the part we mow, the wildflower meadow part which was mostly bluebonnets earlier in the spring, toward the back of the house

We'll also lose our unobstructed view of the sunsets which has already been compromised by the neighbor's container. 

So I see a very tall fence lined with timber bamboo along our back property line in the not too distant future.




14 comments:

  1. That could be grim but let's hope they are nice enough to appreciate the scenery and not spoil it for their new neighbours.
    Your flowers are stunning as always. Here it's just been so cold and everything is about to burst but waiting for some warm sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O bother, that doesn’t sound welcome at all. Here’s hoping that they do not use the land for anything too unpleasant.

    Every year I am surprised, amazed and impressed by your early season flower show. You are way ahead of me here, hardly anything but spring planting is showing colour and most perennials are only half their height. But maybe mine last longer, in fact, you probably know that my display goes on right into late autumn. What you lose on the swings you gain on the roundabout, as the saying goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who was it who said fences make good neighbors? I hope for your sake that is true. Your spring blooms are spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll miss the unobstructed view though especially since my neighbor's container has already cut off some of it.

      Delete
  4. Nothing ever stays the same, does it? Man, I hope those are good neighbors but yes, better build a fence and plant some bamboo. Make sure you don't plant the spreading kind. I know you won't.
    Your flowers are amazing. Your hard work pays off and I know it's your joy. I just spend a couple of hours in my garden and I feel all the better for it, as hot and dirty as I am now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd figure out who in Texas regulates trailer parks and be sure they are in the loop. It's amazing how prone strangers are to conclusion jumping. My brother in law happened down our old street recently and circled back to tell the new owner that the new next door neighbor had just excavated ten feet of her property to build a new driveway. Tom had planted forty or fifty dogwood saplings in that side yard and marked each with an orange tape. The neighbor assumed they were survey markers (yeah, right) and send the bulldozers to digging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in awe of your extraordinary garden and the land surrounding it and hope for a good outcome regarding the property adjacent to yours, with the last resort being a tall fence and bamboo. Yesterday I noticed a few wallflowers blooming in my tiny porch garden. The mix of wildflower seeds that I planted in pots has come up in the last few days. My golden day lilies won't be blooming until early June. I'm always surprised by what volunteers in my porch garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that is so sad -- to lose all that nature. Ugh. I hate to think of all the animals and insects that will lose their habitat. (Not to mention you losing your view!) Maybe it will take a while for them to get moving on their plans and you can live on borrowed time for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel for you. I am flanked by asshat neighbors, myself. One particularly oily character went around with his hat in his hand, the picture of humbleness. He was sectioning out a portion of his property to sell so that he could afford to retire, being in poor health, yada, yada. He hadn't a buyer yet (in a pig's eye) but hoped we would all support him in his hour of need. Then, with support behind him (as in no one showing up at the public hearing - I have a field between my property and the one in question, so I had no say), he promptly sold it to another gravel mining outfit. My property value plummeted. Sorry. Didn't mean to rant - I do hope the new owners give you a buffer so that you can continue to enjoy some of the natural beauty that is there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Goddess! If I had the money I'd buy that land and leave it the way it is or maybe I'd throw a ton of wild flower seeds and then put bee hives on that property. Sell the wild honey and make a pretty profit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why will there be no battles over septic/sewer with a trailer park? This is really crappy news. I was hoping that property would stay wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. all I heard was that the battle at the trailer park across the field was about the 7 teepee motel rooms they were renovating that had been a ruin for decades, before the people that bought the property (the old Tee Pee Motel) won the lottery, with bathrooms that flushed into a septic system. I really don't know if they got the city to run the sewer system out to them (it's outside the city limits) or if they eventually replaced the septic system. I assume the trailers all have their own little chemical toilets in their trailers unless all the sites have some sort of hook-up from the trailers to a septic system. I really don't know.

      Delete
  11. You're right about the spring-into-summer move. I was up in the hill country last weekend, and the monarda, lazy daisies, and gaillardia are just thick. There are some spring holdovers, like bluebonnets, but the ephemerals are gone, and the coreopsis and greenthread are strutting their stuff. In some ways, the thick red and yellow carpeting the hills was as pretty as the bluebonnets. We only got one day to roam because of the weather, but it was a glorious one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad the Zinnias are doing well Ellen. Mexican Petunia is bushing out well here. At least I didn't kill it! Wet here today and I was already to get my multiple tomato seedlings in the ground and some beans. It is just too bad about the news of the beautiful field behind you. Similar happened here; farm was sold to a mobile home developer and was a done deal before neighbors heard about it and could organize for a rezoning. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.