Wednesday, October 10, 2012

the map wall


It's October. Not only that, it's the tenth of October. I'm always sad to see September end because when September is gone then starts the endless holiday season...Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Marcmas*, New Year's. I can already feel the pressure building.

*for those of you who aren't in the know, Marcmas is Marc's birthday.

I'm never one to wish winter in but it is always such a relief when January finally rolls around.

I'm already too busy with real work instead of the make work I busied myself with for the better part of the last year and a half. So what did I do? I said yes to participating in our friends the glass blowers' annual open house the first weekend of December (which is early this year, including the last day of November). What was I thinking! Well, besides wanting to spend a weekend with people I don't get to see very often anymore. I have nothing to sell since I have been spending my efforts on the botanica erotica series and the peach box.

Now I must find time to make a dozen or so small pieces. I have an idea that I think I can pull off, sort of a little reprise of my rock sculptures I did years ago. But. Must. Keep. It. Simple.

So.

I am making progress on the drawings for the patterns for the mountain wall. I'm working on panel 3.

The map wall has been installed. Not exactly how I wanted to spend my one Saturday off a month from the store, but I was glad to be there once I got there. The team from the glass company did an amazing job manhandling those big panels in place, making all the minor adjustments so that all the lines lined up across the four panels. There's a lot of reflection though from the bank of windows across the room. I don't know what they may or may not do about that. Perhaps if they added some additional lighting up in the cove.

they already had panel 1 in place when I arrived

panel 2 in place

panel 3

angling panel 4 up into the cove

panel 4 in place

cleaning

The map wall on the 10th floor of the Houston offices of Invesco.



12 comments:

  1. you do torture yourself by spreading yourself thin. :)

    that map wall looks really great. very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow amazing! Can you do simple? Do you need to wear some sort of cause bracelet to remind you? I think you should have one in pecan brown that says KISS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing installation! I don't think "simple" lives in your house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab ... and I agree with the other comments ... do you do simple?

    ReplyDelete
  5. verrrrryyyyy nice,, and interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  6. The map wall is beautiful!

    I was thinking the same thing about the holidays. But maybe I will enjoy them this year. I certainly did last year. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, that wall came out great! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The wall looks fabulous!! Glad it's up.
    Gorgeous
    hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is simple? Wow! (Yes, there is life after divorce. I finally get it!) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work. I am quite sure that working as hard as you do must bring enormous pleasure. Having created something spectacular surely makes you glow with pride? It must do.

    People will stand in front of the map and say" who did that? what's her name?"

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great looking map you did there. Hooray for you!

    It's the winter rains that get me, and we had our first rain in 80 days just today. Winter is one season that I had rather be where you are than where I am. It was about the only time that the weather was pleasant in south Mississippi, so I should think it would be the same way in south Texas.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.