Thursday, July 7, 2022

another step completed and our new national pastime


Woke up in a funky mood Tuesday. I got an OK night's sleep but I was sleepy just about all day and just dispirited. Marc steamed out the mold for the body of the box while I was doing the weekly grocery shop and we went over after lunch to make the last four molds, the ones for the feet. My grand plan was for him to seal around the bottom of the tube with clay and then I would use little clay balls to attach the ends of the wax wires I had cut to what I thought was the right length to the inside of the tube. First problem encountered was that I couldn't get my fingers down in the tubes to manipulate the clay and wires. Second problem encountered is that the clay wouldn't stick to the inside of the cardboard tubes and in the process of trying several of the wires came off and several turned out to be too short. So then I had to remove the clay and the tube and replace the wires.

Well, fuck, this wasn't getting done that day. I did finally figure out how to attach the wires to the tube on the inside using my batik tool,


reaching in with it while I leaned the set up on its side and dripping melted wax onto the inside where the wax wire touched the tube so the molds did get poured today. 

They'll get steamed out today and I'll do the last volume measures but now, all the molds are made, thirteen of them. Next is filling the molds with frit and/or powder or a mix of the two which is what I'm leaning toward. I'll use the rest of this week to choose colors and then start to fill molds next week.

I was in a little bit better mood yesterday. Staying off FB and Twitter and keeping busy helps.

So I guess this country has a new way of celebrating the 4th, fireworks weren't enough so now people are engaging in mass murder and shootings at parades and fireworks displays. Can't think of a more appropriate way to celebrate our declaration of freedom, mass murder being the new national pastime and all. Forget baseball. Nobody dies in baseball.

The 22 year old mass murderer at the Highland Park parade, 7 dead, 20 +/- wounded, a 2 year old orphaned, was arrested. Of course he was. A white boy who had just killed and wounded 27 people, was asked politely by police, no brutality on display, “do me a favor, get on your knees, get on your knees lay down flat on your stomach”. Do me a favor??? Where's the screaming, where's the profanity, where's the knee on the neck? Where's the fucking chokehold?

Well, it's SHARE day so that will definitely keep me busy and my mind on positive things, participating in helping people in need.




20 comments:

  1. I agree that helping people is much better than fuming! But I can't blame anyone for fuming

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your zinnias are a wonderful distraction. Thank you for them today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a tragedy. Highland Park is an hour from my home.
    You are right that it is better to help others. I feel helpless to make a difference but will vote blue in November and hope for the best. Your flowers are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In conversation this week I asked a family member, when do you think we'll reach the tipping point? He understood just what I meant, as his wife is an active gun control demonstrator. I think there will be a point when the general population, the news, the law enforcement, the law makers, and even the NRA will declare a stop to this horror...I hope it isn't following an all out war.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The contrast between these white mass murderers & just regular black men with traffic violations is just *&%$.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our country is a nightmare these days. I'm always hoping for something good to happen, and then I read the headlines. We're still fighting the un-civil war that never ended. Your flowers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonder when the Las Vegas bookies will start taking odds on when the next mass shooting will be since it is the now normal. Way to go America, putting guns ahead of lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 37paddington:
    Thank you! It’s a relief that others are processing this madness in a way I can understand. Because sometimes it feels like what I’m seeing can’t possibly be really happening, it’s just too surreal, absurd, murderous, and insane. But here we are. Mass murder the national pastime. Real as can be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, everyone needs guns. See how great this is working? Utter disgust and overwhelming sadness here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zinnias!
    I wonder if the big T realizes how much more had has been set lose in this country since his time. In my hometown, 70 bullets in a young black man stopped for an equipment citation. City council is considering not even stopping motorists for a tail light out; just sending them a letter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was this the killing in Chicago??? 60 bullets in that young man... I couldn't believe it. I mean, REALLY????? God in Heaven...

      Delete
    2. That killing was in Ohio. The Highland Park murders were at the parade.

      Delete
  11. The madness continues, Ellen, and the world watches in disbelief. Mass shootings are now happening at a rate of more than one a day, to say nothing of the daily occurrence of gun-related violence and death that barely makes the news. And the racial divide, with its inherent injustice, continues unabated. There are those who still get more incensed about an aggrieved black man kneeling on a football field than by another black man being killed by a knee on the neck. Societal norms are breaking down and the trial balloon of democracy American style is about to explode.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I left a comment but it has disappeared! That happens all too often of late.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry about the mold trouble. Your zinnias are looking good! They're ahead of ours. I agree there's a huge double-standard in how different suspects are treated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are horrible as a people and as a nation. The police had been called out twice on that kid--TWICE!! and the police didn't do what they should have done and that was to report him to the Feds. S---! Now people are dead because the laws that were put in place to protect people were ignored. Sick...

    ReplyDelete
  15. If I were younger, I would move to a different country. Canada, maybe. Since the reign of our previous leader, I find I am no longer proud to be an American. The emotions I feel lately are shame and disgust.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello,
    Could you please add my blog CatsDogs on your blog list.
    I've added yours on mine.
    Thank you
    https://pets876.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.