Wednesday, April 6, 2022

sketching out some ideas


The past week the squirrels have been chewing off the growing ends of the magnolia tree branches, especially in the last couple of days. There are 67 in this picture and that's not counting the half dozen or so that are already completely brown. They have never done this before, at least not to this extent. A few here and there, yeah but not like this. Are they determined that my tree won't produce a single bloom?

I finally sat down Monday and drew my rectangle and then stared at it for 30 minutes with not a clue about what to try and draw. Then it was time to go to yoga but that night I got a glimmer of an idea with a bird in flight on the front and a nest on the top with broken eggshells, sort of a reliquary for an empty nest, babies raised, nest abandoned so I wrote down a brief description.

Tuesday morning I posted on FB one of the boxes I did several of years ago, a Reliquary for Memories. 

I liked the concept but wasn't that pleased with how it came out aesthetically. I like the box very much. Inside it holds 9 or 10 faded and grainy images supposed to represent memories and the top is constructed so that it can hold one of the 'pictures'. The problem is, I don't like the way it looks when it's holding a picture 

and with the exception of two, the images don't represent any specific memory for me so it's sort of fake. Anyway, Tuesday morning I posted the box sans the memory pictures on FB and asked people what came to mind when they saw it in an attempt to get some ideas to repurpose the box. One response was simply...zen. Which triggered another idea for the new box...an Ode to Tranquility.

So after I did my weekly grocery shopping I sat down and did a rough idea sketch of a koi on the front with a lily pad and lotus flower on the top.

Then I sketched out the Empty Nest idea.

And then I started thinking about the reliquaries I've done that represent the destruction wrought by humans like Reliquary for a Shade Tree and Reliquary for a Night Sky and I started thinking about what else human activity is destroying and I thought of coral reefs. And I think this may be the one. A colorful inlay on the front of a coral reef with dead bleached coral on the top and maybe shells for feet. So I did a very rough sketch of that.

And then it was time to start working on dinner, smothered steak with onion, garlic, mushroom gravy; short grain brown rice; and pan fried squash patties. No picture I'm afraid but it was really good.

Now I need to do more precise, working drawings of the ideas, bird's eye view of the tops, think about how I might make some of the components like the bird nest, and ultimately pour the wax slabs to make up the basic shape of the box and decide which idea to pursue for the gallery.


 

17 comments:

  1. All are wonderful!! The empty nest one of course breaks my heart a little bit more.Fabulous ideas and you have so much skill to carry it out, ADMIRATION!!! I kiss the hem of thine garment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo I like all of them! I'm going to enjoy watching you go through the process. Also, I googled and apparently squirrels love magnolia buds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes, the do eat a number of the flower buds but it's way early for that. The tree isn't even close to blooming. They are eating through the branches and letting the ends fall to the ground.

      Delete
  3. I wonder if your later-than-usual spring blooming has anything to do with the squirrels eating the magnolia tips. Perhaps they can't find their regular food? I have no idea. Just a shot in the dark. But how sad for you and your tree!
    I LOVE the Reliquary box ideas! And I know how well you will render your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of the magnolia grandifloras here have started to bloom yet. I have no idea what the squirrels are doing. They're chewing through the stems and letting the branch ends fall. I haven't had any pecans on my trees for two years in a row so food is scarce. I hope I get some this year. The trees are starting to bud out.

      Delete
  4. I am enjoying your process of getting visual ideas for your next work. This is sn exciting point to be at.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm liking the coral idea. It seems to me that the various aspects of the box will hold together more organically than the others: not that a bird, a nest, etc. aren't related. That's so odd about your magnolia buds. I have seen squirrels work over the buds on other trees, or even snip off the ends of branches -- dozens of them at a time. Dare we say they're just acting squirrely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't biting off the buds because there aren't any yet, just snipping off the ends of the branches. Right now I'm leaning towards the coral with the koi and lotus flower second.

      Delete
  6. When you started, your brain sort of did a core dump. As they say in Texas, This is How we Roll.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, according to Google, the squirrels might be shorting their teeth or getting small branches to build their nests. It recommends putting coffee grounds around the plant as squirrels supposedly hate the smell of coffee. But be careful not to hurt the plant with too much coffee.
    I like all three designs and think you could make all eventually. Do you keep an idea folder for future projects? You have lovely and clever ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All terrific ideas. They all seem like the have potential. The challenge with the coral reefs one, it seems to me, might be making the coral on the top so it's obvious what it is, and not just white lumps. Know what I mean?

    As for your magnolia, the squirrels do the SAME THING to our Japanese maple. It drives me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you are on a lovely creative streak. Just takes a little spring to get those juices flowing. I look forward to seeing them all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that box. I too look forward to seeing the work as it progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fascinating! My immediate thought is that you're putting beauty in a world that has a lot of pain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really interesting to read and see how you process your ideas. This will be so interesting to follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your boxes are beautiful. That glass technique is amazing and complicated. I have made ceramic reliquaries in the past as well as some multimedia wall hangings that serve that function but that glass work of yours is absolutely magical.
    What is with the great state of Texas arresting a woman for a self-induced abortion? I am also wondering why it hasn't been picked up by the New York Times. This is crazy. Is the world so insane that this isn't newsworthy?

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.