Sunday, September 3, 2017

update



We thought we had escaped unscathed. And then a levee on Peach Creek and something Slough broke on Wednesday around noon and a wall of water engulfed our neighborhood. The lower house on slab flooded and the water was lapping at the door jambs of the part of the house on pier and beam when the airboat came and evacuated us just at dark and eventually we were taken to a shelter by the National Guard. It's a long story full of panic and frantic which I will tell but right now we are so busy. Finally got to the house on Friday briefly thanks to a friend with a high water truck which was hairy enough on it's own. Still had about 6 inches in the lower house. By Saturday we could get there in a car. Yard still had standing water but not in the garage or the concrete pad and only an inch or so still in the house so started dragging out all the ruined stuff, starting to move the stuff up high out to empty the rooms. Daughter, SIL, son, and grandson showed up to help. Today daughter, SIL, son, and friends Gene and Brian came out to help. Demolition has begun on the flooded parts of the house. 17 1/2” of river water mixed with septic sewer system water. Really stinks. Dead earthworms everywhere. Demolition began today. I keep thinking that at the end of each day I will have time and energy to tell the story but not yet. Just want to let everyone know we are safe and minimal damage compared to just about everyone else in the neighborhood and town who suffered more and those who lost everything. The Colorado River crested at a historical high of 50.5'. Bear with me. I will tell the story but right now we are busy getting the house to the point where all the damaged stuff is out and the not damaged stuff isn't piled on any horizontal surface in the house proper and the damaged sheetrock is torn out. Shop across the street only got 6”. I had moved the car over there so it was fine.


So now, after another long day, I am going to bed.




20 comments:

  1. Dang, we thought you had escaped the water fury. The clean up will take a while I suppose but then you get new pretty walls!! Just trying to be upbeat here...I do realize how devastating flood can be. We have had four. My thoughts are with you , wish I could be more helpful than that....So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We too have experienced water entering into our house. Many insects came inside like small tadpoles,snakes. We were very scared. It took one week for us to clean the house. It also damaged our furniture, washing machine etc. It was a very bad time.

    Be safe and take care...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update, Ellen, and for goodness sake don't feel like you need to tell us everything right away. We do want to hear the story, but right now you have bigger fish to fry! I'm sorry you got damage but it sounds, all things considered, like it could have been worse. Wish I could be there to help out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have mostly been away from Blogger for a week and just read your posts. I am so sorry, Ellen, for what you have gone through and will go through. Over-building and lack of regulations can cause havoc when Mother Nature raises her rancor. I hope help for all of you comes quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doggone it! I was hoping the worst was behind you. It's good you have help. You have a long slog ahead of you so pace yourself and know that many are holding a good thought for you. Take care and be safe ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still can't believe you're going through this! I wish I could be there to help (well, I wouldn't be a lot of help right now, but still...).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just so glad you're okay. I know you must be completely exhausted in all ways. Save yourself for what has to be done. We're here and we are just so grateful you're safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I did wonder about you Ellen. What a mess, even though not as bad as some in surrounding areas. It will take lots of work, but I know you can do it. Glad you have help. I bet you are still running on adrenaline. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am just glad to read that you and your family are safe. What a horrible experience to go through. I hope you can get back to some kind of normal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Ellen! I was thinking something like this must have happened. There had to be a reason you weren't posting. It's good to know you weren't hurt physically. Please stop to breathe every once in a while. We will be here when you have made it through this different kind of "storm". I do hope you didn't lose too many of those treasures of yours. Thank goodness you do have some help; and, yes, you will get some new walls, Take care of you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ellen, I was so glad when you and Marc had apparently been avoided by the flood waters and then followed your anguish in being flooded out. Now it is so sad to hear of your loss and recovery efforts. The good thing is that you and Marc are safe. Thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can only imagine how stressful and disheartening this must be for you. I'm so sorry for this struggle. Sending hugs and best thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The levee problem occurred to me only yesterday, when I read some might be opened to relieve water. And then one broke. It's awful to be tested so. Oh, the work. Take care of yourselves, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have thought of you each day worried when I hear news reports. I had a home on the river in 98 when we got a 500 year flood. In 08 we had another and were told utilities were being shut off and to go to hotels. FEMA was going to help with that cost, but in the end run I made too much they said.Good to hear you have help, it hopefuly will boost your spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well crap. I've been wondering if you'd flooded, and so you have. Thanks for posting so we know that you are ok. It's hard to imagine how badly this sucks for Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry. As I was driving through Dickinson yesterday, the piles of debris were so disheartening; they brought back Allison's flood in such a visceral way. The cleanup and rebuilding is a long, slow process, but I'm so glad that you're all right. If there's anything that I can do -- anything that I can bring you -- just let me know. I guess I couldn't manage sheet rock and such, but any supplies that would fit in a Toyota I can manage.

    Do what you have to do -- now that we've heard from you, things are much better. After the Columbia Lakes levee in West Columbia breached, I really began to worry about you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so sorry for you...and for all of us impacted by Horrible Harvey! I was witness to an awful accident this afternoon on I-10 and haven't been able to quit crying since. Not just about the accident, but about all of this terrible storm experience. Please take care of yourself and don't try to be superwoman. Barbara in Houston

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was worried this might happen to you, but I suppose it could have been worse. I hope this nightmare is over for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry to hear about this. Don't know what I can do to help but let me know if I can.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for posting to let us know you are safe. I am so sorry that you have so much damage and all the exhausting work that creates.
    So glad that you have family close enough to help. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.