Tuesday, April 25, 2017

yard and garden notes


getting our summer canopy

We had a cool front blow in Saturday evening so I abandoned cleaning the wax off my tools and decided to work on the shop fence between us and our neighbor. It's completely overgrown with wild grape and virginia creeper and ironweed and further down, poison ivy. There are pecan trees and hackberry trees growing under all that that needs to be cleared out. I don't know how many hours I worked out there with a machete and long handled nippers but the truck was completely filled and I only uncovered about 10' of fence.


Garden news...some of the tomatoes are starting to pink up 


but so far all but two of the 7 I've picked had rotten spots on them. 


My neighbor says worm damage though I haven't seen any worms and I look over those plants every day. I did pick a big hornworm off the potato plants so maybe it moved over there. I've counted 7 more that have damage, all at or near the bottom of the plants, so maybe that will be the end of it. My onions, which I took such care to move to the good dirt, have still not grown one bit and neither has the pepper plant I put in there too so I guess this dirt is hot too or stuff just doesn't like to be moved. I've given up on getting onions this year. I emptied a bit more of the crappy dirt clay and located another place to buy garden soil from that while it may not be any closer, it's not any farther away and is $2 cheaper for a yard. Hopefully it won't be so hot nothing grows in it until it sits over the summer. I'd like to get some green beans in at least.

baby satsumas!



I noticed the juvenile squirrels are out romping around. There were two in the ditch in the front earlier and I caught sight of three others chasing each other up and around one of the trees in front of the library last week. They can be such pests but the young ones are so cute. Sitting in the house a week or so ago I looked up and saw a bunny in the front yard out in the middle of the day. I've seen them in the back out by the Wild Space if I'm up early enough but I've never seen one out in the front yard during the middle of the day.

taken on high magnification through the screen

stuff is still blooming though the evening primrose and baby blue eyes are going to seed and the poppies are about done 

last night's sunset



12 comments:

  1. Wow, I can see why that fence needed to be cleaned up, what a lot of sweaty work that was! But why would you want to see your neighbors house?

    The pictures :0 you life in a little paradise and you really captured it in these photos today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't necessarily want to see the neighbor's house but it is out of control plus trees on the fence line that nobody wants.

      Delete
  2. I love your wildflower garden - so pretty! I swear I'm going to do something like that next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss a good sunset, surrounded as we are by trees, trees, and more trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are far ahead of me on tomatoes but I think my green beans will start blooming soon.
    We got a taste of that cooler air too and it is heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. later this week our low is going to be in the high 70s. it's freaking April!

      Delete
    2. I put my tomatoes in in mid-February during that warm spell. I figured better do it now or it will be too late.

      Delete
  5. I'm not a tomato lover but I know people who work hard growing and enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The garden looks stunning! I see you have rabbit too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those tomatoes look wonderful, I have bacon I grew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All looks wonderful there. Biggest onions I ever grew were in potting soil, then again I've seen them grow even larger at at farm with red sandy soil and rocks everywhere. Baby squirrel on my back porch making a racket as I removed his bucket of bird seed. I love green tomatoes too and they freeze well. It's always something in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, spring. I remember it well. Sooner or later things in these parts will start to bloom, too. Gorgeous sunset.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.