Thursday, January 28, 2016
more shop talk
Monday and Tuesday, I finished the current stab at arranging and organizing the shop. I'm determined to get it in some sort of order before it gets so hot over there it can't be inhabited. Some of what I want to do can't be done til we do this small animal hospital job (yes, Virginia there is a small animal hospital job) because the small bay that is to be the kiln room and in which one of the kilns sits but not the other or all the brick and fiber blanket sitting around taking up space elsewhere is where we are (probably) going to cut the stencils instead of where we are currently set up in the big bay. Confused yet? And it doesn't look like we are going to do the tear out of the interior rooms this year so I want to get them somewhat functional so that I can work over there this summer in air conditioned comfort.
I got the storeroom set up sans one shelving unit that I haven't bought yet (or the bricks and fiber blanket moved...see above). And I got all my frit reorganized into one pound size jars that my friend Paul sent to me, happy to be rid of 70+ empty jars, and moved. I ran out of caulk so I still have about 5' on the back side, one short side (which is totally overgrown and I can't get to), and the short front sections in between the bay and people doors left to do. I got the caulk but the weather turned cold on Tuesday and it is just now warming up again.
So I've been working on trying to get the last two cast pieces from fall finished before I start on anything else. To that end, I located a shop that could provide me with the 1/4” pieces of steel plate for mounting the magnolia leaves and set them out for further rusting. I got a big piece for all three and three small pieces since I wasn't sure how they would look best. Consensus of opinion is the three small pieces. I also didn't count on how heavy they would be so I went back and got three pieces of 1/8” steel plate. They are sitting out for rust accumulation.
So finally, Tuesday afternoon I got out the wax working tools and started on the wax model for the last little piece, the pink flower with the bee, something I had been putting off waiting for the deposit check for this job that no one seems in a hurry for us to start (though I imagine they will be in a big hurry for us to finish). That evening, I was going through my spam blocker folder looking for something and came across an email that was nearly a week old from the art consultant about the university still not having received the substitute W-9 form that we sent in weeks previous. So, form now emailed and one more step in the direction of actually getting this job.
In the meantime, I am working on this wax model of a rose leaf platform for the little flower to sit on.