Thursday, June 25, 2015

finished work and some recognition maybe


I spent the day yesterday photographing the finished pieces. Yes, I have finally finished all the Botanicas, well, except the one that has the small crack, still haven't re-fired it yet.

 4”w x 4”h x 2"d  rose

 4”w x 4”h x 2"d  anemone

 4”w x 4”h x 2"d  poppy seed head

 4”w x 4”h x2"d  iris

 4”w x 4”h x2"d  tulip

6”w x 6”h x 2"d  cyclamen


And ta da...the peach box is assembled and finished.



You might remember the sketch I did two years ago. That's how long this piece was in the making. I might have more financial success with these if I didn't take so fucking long to complete them. There was a period of about 10 years where I was determined to get noticed and become a successful gallery artist and I cranked stuff out working all the time and submitting to exhibitions and going to shows and not having time for anything thing else and I was not having fun. Then the bottom dropped out of the economy and people forgot all about me and it was all for naught. So now, I struggle with the desire to still be a part of that and my desire to enjoy my life. I may never have success in the galleries or with collectors who can make your career but fortunately I'm not dependent on that. The upside of not being in demand is that I can work when I want and make stuff I want instead of making the same thing over and over and over with minor variations cause that's what the collectors want. I look at the work of some of the successful artists in the glass medium and years later they are still making the same pieces that they became successful with.

So, I know I've been saying for weeks now that I am going to get my model making stuff out and start on a new body of work but I have yet to actually do it. I've been a little busy around here and now I have a small etched glass job, a simple design on a full door lite, and there was the painting of the back bedroom last week and other stuff. Yeah, other stuff. Surely there was other stuff that was keeping me busy and not working on new models besides just skipping tra la through my life. And Sunday I go fetch the other 17 year old grandgirl for her week.

One other piece of exciting news. Last August, I received notice from the Houston Center For Contemporary Craft that our work was being considered for possible acquisition by the City of Houston Portable Works Collection that will become part of the permanent collection of the Houston Airport System and will be displayed at the Houston Intercontinental Airport. Two days ago I received notice that our small sculptural work had made it to the final selection pool with the actual selections to be made the end of July this year. Selections will be made from the actual pieces (and yes, they ARE buying them!) so I will need to gather up the available pieces and cart them down to the Center for consideration. 

I am grateful to the Houston Center For Contemporary Craft for their support and inclusion in the selection process.




12 comments:

  1. I'm gasping with awe! Oh, Ellen! These are just jewels!
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you on the selections process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations on making it to final selections! fingers crossed!!!

    love the botanicas. and congrats on the peach box!!! hooray for it coming together!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous stuff! That peach box is the bomb. And congrats on making it so far in the selection process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful all. You deserve all the recognition you garner. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations. Those botanicals are stunning. Absolutely stunning. The frames go so well too. Just my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Think how many writers and artists who died before gaining popularity. Nice to get the look and nod before that happened.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Recognition coming in on little cat feet, to paraphrase Sandburg. Congratulations; your pieces are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are beautiful, Ellen..Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As Brisco T. Darling was wont to say, More Power to Ya!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to see your work in person some day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is SO cool about making the short list for the city of Houston. After all that rain is there still a city?
    And congrats on finishing The Peach Box. It is lovely. I love this botanical stuff; it's just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What you say and feel about your art is so much like my feelings about my writing. I like to think I have it in me to have a book published, but I would hate the process, and I don’t know if I could be accepted for what I want to write in the way that I want to write it. I just know that I spent a year writing for magazines, made little money, wrote a lot of things I wasn’t interested in, and even injured my knee due to a habit I developed of sitting for hours with my left calf tucked under my right thigh. If I’m going to strive for a book, I have to get on the stick because I’m 66 now, but instead of getting more motivated as time passes, I get less.

    I thought of you a lot during the flooding. I guess it’ll be back to drought for you as summer passes. That’s what’s happening here in Oregon. We normally only get ten days a year when the temp tops ninety, but--as my Portlander buddy, Stephen Hayes, can tell you--we’re had more than that already. When I look at the ten day forecast, every day is supposed to be above ninety, and we haven’t had any rain since May. A lot of people here don’t even have air conditioning because they don’t normally need it that much.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.