Wednesday, June 20, 2018

rain, yay! rain, boo!


I dropped my friend Helen off at the close airport, the one that's only an hour away, yesterday. It was a great visit though we didn't do much besides just hang out for a few days; 


nosed around a couple of the shops, bought the paint for the little bathroom, rented a movie, played with the dog, made a pie.


We are finally getting some rain! In fact it rained lightly off and on the whole time she was here. It's hurricane season once again and I still haven't got all the repairs done from last year. There's a storm system in the Gulf which was supposed to bring us 4 to 5 inches of rain over as many days which didn't happen so now they are saying 8 to 10 inches over the next several days and yesterday the general area between Houston and us just got pounded off and on. Drove through some of that heavy rain on the way to the airport, you know, the kind where even the fast speed on the wipers are useless and you can barely see the car in front of you and just forget about the lane markers. Fortunately it was only about 10 minutes or so. Well, at least until the drive home. Didn't hit any hard rain coming back and stopped at Costco for a few things and gas and they had a great recliner for the back bedroom for just $200 but I'm not buying any furniture for there until all the work is done and then between there and home through Fort Bend county which is under heavy construction with those barriers on both sides that give you zero wiggle room and 18 wheelers hauling ass beside you it was mostly through that heavy blinding rain. But I made it home safely and Marc came out to the car with the umbrella to get me. Hopefully we are getting all this rain at the right time to ensure a good pecan crop this fall since the last three years have been pretty pitiful.

So now I'm sitting here wondering where the hell Rocky is. He was going to work Saturday and Sunday and this week too if I didn't mind while my guest was here (I didn't). He did work on Saturday but was gone by the time I got back from the airport with Helen. He had finished everything he could do til I got back and I haven't seen him since. Well, it was Father's Day on Sunday so I guess he gets a pass for that but I'm ready to be done and I think it would only take a dedicated week. OK, so I talked to Rocky and there's not much he can do with this high humidity since grout or thin-set or texture won't dry properly and everything that can be done involves one of those three so as soon as we have a dryer day he'll be here.

In the meantime, I'm trying to get my studio room straightened up, things hung like this sweet little watercolor Helen did and gave me 


and birdhouses repaired (they all need perches) and hung, 



but it's one of those days that makes me just want to sit around and read. Not currently raining but totally overcast and heavily humid and wet outside and the couch looks comfy and I have two books on my side table.






15 comments:

  1. Life is so short...too short to miss the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your corn is as high as an elephant's eye........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. the library was about to close so I grabbed these two off the new arrivals shelf...Hardcore Twenty-Four by Janet Evanovich (mindless easy read about the further adventures of Stephenie Plum, bounty hunter) and The Party by Robyn Harding (the secrets behind the facade of an ideal family). Not sure I would have chosen the second had I had more time to browse so we'll see.

      Delete
  4. wonderful little painting by your friend Pinky, jealous of her hair but not brave enough to find my own! It is hot up here, air conditioner broken at the moment, I do not have clothing that matches hot weather because it is so rare. I have loads of rain gear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the watercolor, it has rained here every day. I may have to get an umbrella or melt. One area had 7 inches last night. Your corn looks beautiful, ever make tamales with the husks?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't this about the queerest weather ever?!? Nineties over the weekend, seventies for the last two days, and cold, cold rain. I love Helen's painting. I suppose everyone does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. With a stack of books and a sky full of rain I'll bet you're rethinking that delay on the recliner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And now we're missing our rain. I yearn for it! I swear Ellen- I may not make it through this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd try to console you that this is just a freak summer but I'd be lying. with all this rain I wouldn't call it cool but it is definitely tolerable. I imagine the front and with it the rain will make it's way to you in a few days. that seems to be how it goes.

      Delete
  9. but but but....what kind of pie? Looks like maybe a combination of apples and peaches on the counter besides it...

    Enquiring Minds Need to Know™

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had a wonderful time with your friend. In love the pink hair.
    Watercolor done by Helen looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. With that much humidity, I'd be prostrate. In my next life, I am coming back as a handyman so that I never have to rely on others to get things done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Helen's hair! I personally want that blue hair that people are doing, but I think I'd need a professional since mine is so naturally dark brown. Maybe when I go totally gray...

    And I love the watercolor. So lovely!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.