Thursday, May 24, 2018

I'm back y'all


I had a long day of travel Wednesday the 23rd catching a cab to the airport at 9:30 Lisbon time, an 8 hour flight to Toronto with a 4 1/2 hour layover before catching my 3 1/2 hour flight to Houston, and finally rolling into the driveway about 1:30 AM today, Thursday. Minnie the dog just about danced on my head when I got home and she has been pretty much glued to my side since. I've uploaded all my pictures and scanned through them and there are hundreds so it's going to take some time and doing to organize the trip report and select the photos to post since I'm not doing a post a day like on previous trips.

Mostly today I slept and wandered around the yard and Marc did a good job of keeping the dog and cat and all the plants alive if not thriving. The corn has shot up and is making little ears and the tomatoes are huge and thick and covered with stink bugs so I spent some time thinning out the foliage and going after the stink bugs with insecticidal soap and then it started raining before I could get the green beans picked or the bell pepper staked up. 

Needless to say I had a wonderful time. Portugal is a beautiful country and the weather was perfect and the people warm and welcoming and the lack of the language was never a problem as most Portuguese have a smattering or better of English and even when they didn't we managed to communicate well enough with the occasional use of the English/Portuguese dictionary I had downloaded.

This was my first view of Portugal...


next: we all arrive and the Villa





12 comments:

  1. Oh boy. Can't wait to hear about Portugal of which I know zilch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey woman! I sure have missed you but have been happy knowing that you were in such a beautiful place. Can't wait to see some pictures. Glad you're home and safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to be back too. I just bored the pants off my sister making her look at just about every one of the pictures I took.

      Delete
  3. Welcome back, I hope! Everyone should get out of the country for a breather, I reckon. Portugal is on my very short and getting shorter , list of places to go, though I would like to stay gone forever... Anyway, good to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes welcome back from a beautiful trip! I would love to visit Portugal sometime. Was there once as teeenager, first time traveling. A gem of a place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home after a wonderful trip. So glad to read that it made you happy. An adventure is good for the body and the soul. I am looking forward to your pictures and tales.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm giggling at the mental image of Minnie going wild with delight and dancing on your head.

    So glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you're home, and I love the image of the enthusiastic Minnie greeting you! Can't wait to hear about the trip! We loved Portugal, but we only went to Lisbon -- there's so much there I haven't seen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you went to the Our Lady site. I used to laugh traveling, many who had been to Portugal were carrying these large carved forks and spoons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! Glad you're home & that you're going to share your adventure with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back. Of all the roads both east and west, the one that leads to home is best. Wonderful first view of Portugal, red tile roofs! I think of Laura's first airplane flight; complete fog one way, complete blizzard the other. We'll try to improve that in Charleston this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just catching up! I've heard nothing but positive things about Portugal. It's edging to the top of my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.