Friday, March 16, 2018

another day, another estate sale


I've mentioned that one of our forms of entertainment, my sister and I, is going to estate sales. There's a lot of repetition because most of us, our lives are pretty much the same, at least as far as our households are concerned. And a lot are just what's left over after the family has taken what they wanted. And sometimes the amount of stuff is overwhelming. And sometimes you have to wonder what on earth these people are thinking when they price some of this stuff but I've picked up some really neat things, most of my wind chimes and bird houses and plant stands in fact, over the years which I've shown now and then.

This one we went to Friday was out in the country for real, some kind of old farm and it was a house, even the interior doors ($8 ea.) and the cabinet doors ($4 ea.) were for sale, the plan by whoever now possesses it is to gut it and redo the interior, a good idea since the entire house was a dark paneling. Though I didn't take too many pictures inside there was furniture and sheets and towels and clothes and sewing machines, the usual kitchen stuff...dishes, appliances, utensils, glasses, pots and pans. There were several doors marked do not enter so I imagine that's where all the stuff the family was keeping was.

overheard that the son was a priest (why do they always portray Jesus as emaciated?)

come to Jesus at the river gown?

a big garage full of garage stuff like tools and gear and nails and tables laid out with all kinds of miscellaneous guy stuff that ends up in garages that I don't usually pay attention to unless I'm looking for something specific,

a small shed full of canning jars (the ones not in the kitchen), high priced canning jars, a few antique ones but mostly just old,

a barn full of unidentifiable by yours truly farm stuff and not just one or two of a kind but troves of a kind,



and then there was the stuff just spread out around the buildings...

a crude bench with a broken leg...$8, an old beat up dirty wooden box...$10


I have no idea what this is with it's termite eaten and rotten wood top with one hinge come loose but they wanted $85 for it

the little wagon wheel...$200

two sections of broken windmill vanes...$50 ea. 

Don't know what this is either but they wanted $35 for it, must be the fancy handle.

The best find of the day though was in the aforementioned garage...a box of about a dozen cobalt blue shot glasses with names etched on them...Big Mike, Dave, Uncle Charley, Darrell, etc.,


and Pooter, Pecky, and Booger 

Hey Booger! C'mon, we're doing shots!





16 comments:

  1. My daughter and I love to haunt estate sales too. We always play a game and try to figure out
    "who these folks were" based on their stuff. Most often they were just regular folks, but sometimes their stuff tells another story. This was an interesting look at the sellers not so much the previous owners......except for the great shot glasses. They are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to have an estate sale and not go to one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those shot glasses! Mike gave me quite a lecture on that one pile of junk you posted on Facebook - he knew what everything was (my takeaway - Stuff to Plant Things With).

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were letting it all go, I have only seen one sign up, more when it warms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's some high prices on some of that, or as HeWho likes to say, "They sure are proud of it and don't really want to sell it."

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's one of the reasons why I have started to clear my shelves, so that my daughter will not have to read a review of her estate sale.

    But if these people here actually found people to pay that kind of money maybe I should hold back?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I told my kids that when I die, to call the “Got Junk” guys and let them have at it.

    I cannot believe some of the prices of the items at that estate sale. They should pay you for taking them off their lawn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you bought those blue glasses. Please tell me you bought the beautiful blue glasses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we bought the three. I kept one and my sister is sending the other two to her step-son.

      Delete
    2. I was dying to know too, whether you bought them! Which did you keep?

      Delete
    3. I picked Booger then let my sister pick as I thought she would just pick one and then I would get another turn but she picked up the other two and since the rest were mundane I just got the one.

      Delete
    4. Booger, that's priceless!

      Delete
  9. High hopes, eh? If you ever know how this came out, let us know. Around here, on day 3, the remains can be haggled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saturday everything was going to be half price but even at that some of those prices were ridiculous. this one was not run by the woman we know who does them so we have no idea what they ended up selling and for what price.

      Delete
  10. Okay. I definitely need to start going to estate stales. You've convinced me.
    Sort of.
    At the very least, it's cheap entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love going to sales like this. I must start saving up so I can go to the next one!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.