Saturday, December 16, 2017

reclaiming my space and a big decision


I did get my desk top and printer moved on Wednesday so, of course, the curse Rocky showed up on Thursday to finish up the punch list and my desk had to be moved once again for him to get the hooks in the ceiling but they put it all back for me. It's set up like before because it's a familiar configuration but I think it will evolve because...

In January, Marc will get his first SS check and combined with mine we will have a regular dependable income and health care for the first time in our working life together. We've had many years when we made more than we will be getting and many more years when we made less and years when we had hardly any income but never have we had an amount that was dependable month after month. Since moving out here or really since we sold the Houston house/shop in 2014, commissions have been few and farther apart. This year we had two small jobs in February and no other inquiries and thought we were retired by default except for one proposal that, if the art glass stays in the budget, will come up next year. And then this fall, after the flood, two more possible jobs came up. They are willing to wait til after the first of the year while we get the house and shop put back together so that we can do the work.

So what all this is leading up to is that we were talking the other night and decided that after we do these two jobs (and the third if it comes through because I have already committed us to it), we are going to purposely retire from the etched glass commission work. As of now, we are no longer going to accept new jobs. It's not that our combined SS is a huge amount but it is an amount that we can easily live on as we are used to a simple lifestyle and we are both over the etched glass work and after having no work this year I'm not really of a mind to start that whole thing up again.

Now that Rocky won't be back until after New Year's to start on the next part of the re-build I've been slowly excavating my stuff from the piles of boxes but I don't want to hang anything on the walls until I get whatever furniture I need in here. However, the kites and star lights are back up!






18 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a big decision. I bet it'll feel good to have that dependable income, plus every job you do accept should feel like icing on the cake. Or gravy? I forget which food simile is best here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand your decision. It will allow you a more creative life. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray! I am glad for you both. Will you still work on your smaller pieces? The beautiful nature ones?
    Things are happening here which may well affect my husband's income and I told him the other day that he should just retire. "But all the things I want to do when I retire," he said, "Cost money."
    Damn.
    Well then, husband, get to work!
    You and I are definitely the Decorating Twins. Kites and star lights. Yep. That is how I do things as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes, we will continue to do the small sculptural pieces just no more architectural work.

      Delete
  4. Oh, did this make me smile. I think we all remember the counting and planning and then the Decision. Good for you, times a million. Exhale and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's surprising because we always figured we would never retire from this work and we will still do the small sculptural pieces just no more physically demanding architectural work.

      Delete
  5. What a nice room that looks to be - ready and waiting for your new chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now on to the next stage of life - it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done and I can only imagine the amount of deliberations that you went through. I wish I could get to that point but haven't the guts - yet. Any month now . . .

    And what a lovely room this has turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life is all about passages and so I understand the process of your stopping with the etched glass. I haven't accepted a portrait commission in years, not that anyone is breaking down my studio door for a portrait, but I don't need the money and now only paint for my own pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right! from now on I only work to please myself.

      Delete
  9. Well, you may not have had a lot of commission work recently but you've surely had one of the hardest-working years of your life, with having to rebuild your own house! I can see why you'd want to bow out of the etched glass work if you're tired of it, and how great to have more time to devote to your art. Those kites are great decorations! You have a kind of Japanese minimalism thing going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if I do it's only because most my stuff is still in boxes and I haven't got the bookcases in yet.

      Delete
  10. I have never had to rely on my photography for a living, but I never really tried to push. I have a good federal retirement and am happy about that. Your very neat art studio is really seductive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's only neat because I haven't unpacked most my stuff yet. and no furniture.

      Delete
  11. A blank canvas awaits your touch! I am still busy parting with things I thought were treasures, but realize they are only anchors keeping me in one place. Life seems to be a process of gathering and releasing .....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats!! I too will get my first SS check in January, but I'm working until mid December 2018.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.