Thursday, November 2, 2017

running out of clever ways to say construction continues


OK, I bought a door. Or more correctly, I ordered a door because Lowe's does not stock plain and simple. I settled for a fiberglass solid core half light with clear glass, two panels (wanted only one but the only option for that cost well over double than the one I ordered), textured with wood grain on both sides that I will stain on the inside and paint on the outside. I hope I like it.


The ceiling is done, lightly textured, and the bead board is going up today while Rocky figures out how to work with the weird way they built the windows and doors in this part of the house. What I want to end up with on the windows is a sill and molding like the windows in the rest of the house and molding around the 4 doors in this room. Seems like it ought to be easy but let me just say that it's kind of tricky as there was no sill before on the windows. Well, there was a sill but it was brick and that's gone now.

So that was yesterday. When I got back from Lowe's I realized I needed another door as well, the one that leads to the back bedroom and little bathroom and it was an immediate need so back I went today to get that (as they do stock hollow core plain jane interior slab doors) and also some different baseboard molding because remember, 'weird way they built this part of the house'. Turns out the walls are not 8' but 8'4” which means I need extra wide base molding to cover up that extra 4 inches. 

the plan is to do the step in mosaic

Since my grandson still has my truck, I put it all in 'will call' and Rocky is going to go fetch it for me and so he did pulling up earlier with the door and molding. No other progress today as they finished up a neighbor's house today.

On a related note, while I haven't been working on the cast glass this week, I did finally get the driveway completely cleared off except for the bags of dirt but they were there before.


I think I'll actually be able to get some work done on the castings and preparations the next three days as tomorrow is Rocky's birthday and he's taking that day off which means no construction til Monday.

So that's my goal.




16 comments:

  1. I went back to count the construction posts, so you could post: Construction XX; Construction XXI, etc. Lost count.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was redoing this old house I live in (2013-15) my blog was full of all my destruction and construction, since I was doing the work myself it dragged on and on and took 2+ yrs since I broke my arms in the middle of it! What you got done so far looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had entertained the thought of doing it myself, well, some of it like the paneling, but sheetrock especially on the ceiling is beyond me and then there was the whole having to rebuild the sills for the windows and I have enough to do already so I'm happy to have Rocky do it and so far FEMA is paying (yes we did finally get money). I will do the painting myself.

      Delete
  3. The last time I had anything to do with reconstruction or related stuff was about nineteen years ago. My husband and I had bought a house which was really a beautiful house and well made but I didn't feel comfortable in it at all. It was not me. I loved the pool and the acreage around the house but the rest of it? ARGGGHHH! It was Colonial in style and the kitchen was not built for anyone who cooked and so on and so forth. And so, to entice me into going along with buying it (because it was an amazing deal), my husband let me redesign the kitchen and the bathroom off our bedroom and it seems to me that we spent months going to Lowe's and Home Depot. At the same time, I was going on an antidepressant for the first time and so my brain was scrambled and I can so remember being in Lowe's, feeling as if I was tripping. But honestly, in the end, that kitchen was gorgeous and so was the bathroom. I still dream about that house. Which is NOT to say that it was my dream house.
    But we sure made some money on it when we sold it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always liked bead board. It looks great in there, Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy house projects, but there is a difference between wanting to do it and having to do it. I can’t imagine the physical and mental stress you and others are going through to repair your homes after the devastating storms. You have my admiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like wide base molding. I think it looks snappy. I am impressed with your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That room is really coming together beautifully, Ellen. You are really making lemonade from a lemon experience. I did not know bead board. Really do like it. Congratulations on accomplishing so much. You sure make me feel lazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to paint it because it's pine and a bit rough but that's OK. It will be white but not stark white. we put up bead board wainscoting in the dining area and hallway when we bought this house, painted it in the dining area and stained it in the hallway but the wainscoting, while pine also, was a better quality. I'm not really doing all that much besides problem solving as Rocky works and making sure he remembers things like putting the insulation up before the paneling.

      Delete
  8. Things are looking really great. You must be so happy that the money (FEMA) came through and that you can see a light at the end of the tunnel. xoxo Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet you'll be happy when all this is done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know you will be so happy upon completion! We have been rearranging this place since the day we moved in 13 years ago. I am always busy taking down walls, while HeWho tells me I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like beadboard, and that wider baseboard's going to look good. When it comes to reporting on construction, creativity's sort of beside the point. We're just happy to see your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you could almost put tile as a baseboard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a thought. but I already bought the base board. Besides, I wouldn't want it to compete with the mosaic on the step.

      Delete
  13. Ooh - can't wait to see the mosaic step!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.