Friday, October 27, 2017

more repair/remodel underway


I had to decamp from my in-house studio again because Rocky showed up on Wednesday morning with a load of sheetrock promising to be back first thing in the morning to start. I was in the middle of filling one of the big DF (drowned feather) molds and had open dishes of crushed and powdered glass spread out on the work table (no problem, Rocky says, the guys will get all this stuff cleared out in no time, um, no, that's not happening) and so Wednesday I finished filling the mold and then emptied that room once again, setting up in the back bedroom, except for the big table and my desk. Computer is back on the dining room table.


So Thursday the styrofoam ceiling tiles came down


to be replaced with sheetrock


and the brick planters were demolished and the remains piled on Rocky's trailer





to be trundled over and tossed into the bunker on the shop grounds. It's already got concrete and brick trash in there and since we will never ever empty it we might as well fill that sucker up. As if this amount of brick and concrete will add visibly to the level.

I'm putting the bead board paneling on hold til Saturday when I can drive the 45 minutes to the closest Lowe's that has it to look at it in person. The birch bead board that I selected looks very pretty in the picture on-line but it's also $40 a sheet. If it's as pretty as the picture online indicates, I'll leave it the natural wood color. At least that's the plan. But I decided I'd best look at the actual product before I have Rocky order it. There is a pine version which I can use if I decide to paint it (and I'm sort of leaning that way as I write this because wood yellows and darkens with age and it's half what the other costs and the birch is a veneer as opposed to solid wood like the pine).

Today, tape and float.




12 comments:

  1. I love painted bead board.
    When all of this is done, you're practically going to have a new house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Progress is good! Back in the 80's our house caught fire and burned one end. We were able to stay in the other end while the work was done to restore the family room and the master bedroom. Seems like it took forever. Could have been the hide-a-bed sofa I was sleeping on ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Progress is good! I used wood bead board in my bathroom I painted it, I got mine in the exterior wood section at Lowes, it has a bit of a rough surface on it, (that you could sand if you wanted to) but it painted just fine! It was about $28 a sheet so half the price of the finished sheets, and lighter weight so easier to handle. I put mine in myself so weight was a factor me, it's been in a year and NO issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we put up some wainscoting ourselves when we bought this house and if it was just replacing paneling I'd probably do it myself. just easier to get a package deal.

      Delete
  4. Ms. Moon beat me to it; you'll have a nearly new house when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you will enjoy the new sheetrock once it is finished. Moving my stuff would be hard for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used bead board when I remodeled downstairs in the old house. Best choice in thirty years of living there. Beautiful stuff. Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can’t wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This Rocky and his crew are awesome dudes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so admire your ability to go with the flow, more or less -- picking up and moving your stuff hither and yon to work with the workers. You're well on your way now, though. People say one day at a time, and that's true -- but one decision at a time works, too. There are so many decisions to be made in a project like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, it's not like I have a lot of choice. breaking down or being pissed off won't get anything done.

      Delete
  10. Those indoor planters still boggle my mind. It must be nice to be rid of them!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.