Thursday, February 9, 2017

not so energetic today


I'm sort of at loose ends today, Thursday, been writing a post on the political Bizarro World circus but I won't inflict that on you just yet. Went to the garden club meeting, something that I am hit or miss with. I maybe make it to about half the meetings. Other than that, about the most I have accomplished today is pulling up handfuls of sprouted sunflowers and cow pea in the wildflower mini-meadow, something that I do every day sometimes several times a day. You might remember that it was solid with field sunflowers and salvia and I had to completely clear it out this fall/winter so my wildflowers could sprout. And things are finally starting to sprout. There's larkspur and poppies and bluebonnets and evening primrose. Other things I recognize as not a weed but not sure what plant yet like queen anne's lace and clasping leaved coneflower and black eyed susans.

I went by the co-cop Monday and got some tomato plants and a bell pepper and got them planted in the empty half of the big raised bed and had to put some of them in big pots because I ran out of room until I take out the cauliflower and broccoli. 


Then, the next day my neighbor Leonard who gave me the potatoes previously, gave me some onion sets as he had planted all he had room for so I've been perusing the raised garden kits at the big box store on-line as an alternative to building my own. I don't like the way the ones we have are constructed even though they are working just fine. I almost ordered one on-line but then changed my mind. If I would just go get the wood and put it together I'd have one twice as big for the same cost. So I guess I'm going into Rosenberg tomorrow.

Stuff seen around the yard the last week...

little wood violets

10 petal anemones are blooming all over the lawn

blueberries gonna bloom

sunset looking west

same night same moment looking east

and frogs!

this guy was on the inside of the textured glass window one morning

this one was hiding in this bucket

and his little buddy was further around the rim

and today this one clinging on the inside rim of the water lily pond though it's not the best picture





11 comments:

  1. Same here. Same, same. Although I never plant tomatoes before the pecans begin to get their leaves, I am thinking I'll chance it earlier this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as hot as it's been I'm thinking it may already be too late. cooler today though by a good 20 degrees.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures. I don't garden but if it will keep my mind off politics I might take it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bucket frogs! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course you're out planting. It's February in Texas. And anemones, too. Deep in the heart of Texas. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely spring there. Sam's has a nice raised be garden. My garden club used to be the Venus Flytraps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got that itch right now.....to plant, to clear beds, to be a part of the process but I know that the weather will turn again on me and I'll lose all I do now. But your photos make me happy, give me hope and inspiration. The wood violets just tickled my fancy. Thanks for this pleasant pause to the madness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. fun to enter into spring, saw some turkeys fanning out and doing their strut so spring is near here in a month or so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought that your sunset pictures were marvelous, then I saw the frog pictures. I am looking for a better adjective than marvelous now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my first visit to your blog. I like it and wished I could spend more time but I have to cook for 15 people today, yikes . I'm too old for that .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. welcome to my little space. I hope I see you again.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.