Friday, June 3, 2016

more rain and exotic blooms and small tasks


ho hum, the river's at flood stage again

The river is up again and more rain is coming upriver from us and eventually to us though we are still in no danger from the flooding. It's only been a month since the Colorado went over it's low banks on the west side of town. Last time it crested somewhere in the neighborhood of 48' which was higher than the the May 2015 flood which crested somewhere around 43'. It crested somewhere around 40 something feet and started to go down and now more rain and more dam releases and it's not just the Colorado but the Brazos River as well. And the Brazos is getting the worst of it. People are losing homes, cars, livestock, crops because the rich on the lakes in the hill country can't be bothered by high water. Certainly, they must release some water to prevent pressure on the dams but if they didn't keep the lakes at capacity they could absorb some heavy rain instead of sending it all downstream to flood those who depend on the land for their living.


My night blooming cereus bloomed last night. They don't usually bloom til late summer or fall but they will put on a bloom or two around this time of year. Last year I missed both times it bloomed so I was really happy to see it this time. They smell so sweet, kind of lemony.

I had two days to play last week because of the holiday. Couldn't do much outside because it is so soggy and hot and the mosquitos are fierce. Sunday I doused myself and clothes with repellant, something I am loathe to do so that I could do some maintenance in the yard and unclog the hose from the water lily pond to the filter...again. The string algae is fierce so I also treated the pond for that. And I took care of all the little things that have piled up. Hung a painting that's been sitting on the floor for months, repaired two wind chimes and got them hung and got the last two wind chimes from my latest estate sale haul hung. Tied the crystal back on another that had come off, hung a plastic 'crystal' do-dad in the window. Replaced two drawer handles with the glass ones I found at a previous estate sale. Drilled a hole in a saucer and got the tea cup bird feeder repaired and back up. Cut a piece of rebar in two with the metal saw, sparks flying all around. Steamed the wax out of a mold. Made a pie from the small sweet white flesh peaches the local orchard had last week and it was an awesome pie even if I do say so myself.


This weekend is the art show that we are participating in with six other artists so I spent the day yesterday getting the display ready and packing up the glass and gathering up all the other shit that we'll need for our display and sales (one can hope). We're headed into the city in a little while to get set up. Of course, it's supposed to rain all day today and Saturday with a flash flood warning through Saturday (see the first paragraph). Sunday should be decent though with only some rain predicted.




12 comments:

  1. Oh, Ellen. I can't keep up with you. I am being such a lazy ass these days. When are you leaving for Scotland?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that wind chime. Seriously love it. Can we go steady?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping my fingers crossed that you aren't exposed to flooding, and good luck with your art show. I know people will love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flower is beautiful. Photo is spectacular!
    How on earth do you drill a hole in a saucer?

    Fingers crossed for good weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the flooding can wear one down. Hope your show is a good none.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Floods in Texas bring back bad memories for me as I lost my home for a while and had to gut and rebuild. I was younger and more stupid then. Good luck with the weather and love that flower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a friend who lives on the river in New Braunfels. Haven't heard from her. Cereus is gorgeous. Rebar with a metal saw? Tried something like that before and it killed my arm. It is the busy season before it gets too hot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds silly, but I am so glad we live on top of the hill. In my thirty years there has been one severe flood in the valley and a dozen very damaging ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your area has been getting a bit more than it's share of rain lately...hope you have a great show...

    ReplyDelete
  10. my goodness, those blooms are like magic.

    thank you for your comment today. stay safe down there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have had more than your share of water. It rained so hard here last weekend that the pool nearly overflowed. Small by comparison, but the grass is growing faster than we can cut it down!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too much water! Gorgeous bloom.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.