my life and art and whatever else catches my attention
Wednesday, January 6, 2016
ball mill results
the holidays are over and it's time to get back to work. First order
of business was excavating my desk and work table. So far, after
managing that, I drew a pattern for a small transom job and started
the finish work on the day lily, you remember, the commission for my
oldest friend (and yes, you still have to wait to see it, I'm going
to do a start to finish post when I finally get it finished and
I started on the day lily casting, I went over to see what I had in
the ball mill. I had let it run off and on for a couple of days and
then it was the holidays and the in between week.
first of all, there is nothing between big chunks (which aren't so
big anymore) and powder.
No smaller grains to be sifted out. The
other thing is, besides the small amount of powder that got dumped
out with the ceramic marbles and glass chunks,
it was all caked
against the sides and bottom of the canister.
I thought, just get a paint brush and brush it down and dump it out.
Uh, no, that didn't work.
I'll get that extra spatula from the kitchen and get the powder out with that.
Uh, no, that didn't work either.
had to get the thin metal tool I used to clean out the canister in
the first place and scrape that shit off the sides, bottom, and
shoulders of the canister.
now I have glass powder all over me but I did get most of it dumped
out and in a jar (and yes, I was wearing a mask the whole time).
Next time I'm going to weigh the glass chunks first and the powder
after to see how much is lost during the process.
returned the ceramic marbles and the still remaining chunks of glass
to the canister and started it up again. At this rate, it's going to
take me all year to powder the remaining 14 or so colors. And what a
pain in the ass.