Thursday, April 9, 2015

up on the roof


So, is it too much? Am I boasting? I still have one more, blues and purples. I could wait a few days, give your eyeballs a chance to recover.

I have some work in, two panes of glass, two separate jobs. The glass for Grace's Bar was sent out the first time with two big oyster chips in it. It pisses me off when they send out poor quality. We made them re-do it but now we have to get it done. You know, just do it right the first time and save us all a lot of trouble.

While you all have been looking at pictures of pretty flowers, I've been on the 12' ladder working on the roof of the shop. Monday, I sprayed the first 14 roof panels with the rust inhibitor, re-doing the five. Then I scraped 12 more panels. Each panel is 16" wide. I can do three panels before I have to get off the ladder, move it and climb back up again.

before the rust inhibitor

Tuesday, I used expanding foam from the inside and latex caulk from the outside to fill holes and gaps and most of the channel at the bottom as well, as it turns out. I'm trying to keep the center notch open. I can't use silicone because nothing sticks to it and the gutter and flashing 'caulk' was a nightmare to use. There was no way to smooth it and it was more like gray tar and sticky and you couldn't wipe it off anything, particularly your fingers, and, I learned in retrospect, takes at least 6 hours to not be sticky. I did half a panel and then threw it in the trash. Fuck that. So I caulked 14 panels with the latex as needed, and most needed a lot, and then I sprayed the 12 panels with the rust inhibitor.

 I got a little carried away with the foam. I'm better now.


Yesterday I thought about painting the tar on the first 14 panels but the caulk wasn't completely cured in the places where I was filling in. So I scraped the silicone out of two of the first four I did and sprayed the rust inhibitor on them and then caulked, as needed, the other twelve. There at the end, I changed my technique a little and I think it's working out better. I need more expanding foam though.


Today, I have to get the tar painted on whether or not the last of the caulk is completely cured because they are predicting rain for the next 5 days. I hope that doesn't take all day because I must get started on the Grace's panel. I may or may not get the two ex-silicone panels sealed. If not, they will leak inside again. Oh well, can't be helped.

OK. Enough. I have work to do.




10 comments:

  1. When you're finished there, would you like to come and work on our roof? Because yeah, we have some leaks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another illustration of the absurd misconception that artists swan around in paint-spattered smocks and never do anything more physical than the occasional brush cleaning.
    You're a powerhouse, Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are industrious! (And much more skilled than I.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I used to be you...a very long time ago. Now I put things off like this until I absolutely have to hire someone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hope your hard work 'seals the deal'! we've got 90% chance of rain today and, as you said, for several days thereafter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The time will come when you'll reap the benefits from all this hard work, like when the rain returns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...what a job!!! Your are an inspiration. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tough work, you are a glutton for punishment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you sure know how to have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roof top must have aesthetical appearance and sturdiness Liquid Rubber Roofing improves both of these and remedies leakages too.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.