Tuesday, March 31, 2015

more work from the Bayou City Art Festival


I don't wear scarves and I can't see myself in the diaphanous gorgeous hand painted silk clothing by Mary Sly but oh, so beautiful.


Brianna Martray works in resin clay and cast resin. This wall piece caught my eye.


I was totally entranced by C. J. Bradford's illustrations, hand colored (some) whimsical pen and ink drawings.



Mike Bose works in clay and creates these very cool 'territorial' pots and sculptures.


The handmade furniture by Thomas William was so elegant and beautiful.


The clay sculpture by Pat and Ken Larson drew me in. I particularly liked their raven pieces.


I was happy to see my friend Thomas Irven at the show. I have always loved his turned wood acorn boxes.


I really liked these great yard totems by Cliff Matyszczyk. He also does some kinetic art but I liked these better. I have no contact information for him as his truck had been broken into the night before and he did not have any business cards but my friend Kerry tells me that he does not ship and does not use the internet.


There were 25 glass artists at the show and most of the work was predictably the same but there were a few stand-outs...a large display of very Chihuly-like (and I'm sure they would be horrified to hear me describe their work as such) sea form compositions, another booth with a few exquisite torch work paperweights (wish I had gotten a picture of those and they aren't on his website), and then these little cast boxes by Amanda Walker and Tom Beach. I did not get a picture of their work at the show either so I have taken this off their website. She does the glass work and he does the woodwork. I didn't care for the plate glass top, though, and think it detracts from the piece.



These impossibly delicate and beautifully embroidered pieces by Yan Inlo were not small. She would not allow me to take a picture so I took this one off her website.


I also really like these etchings by Marina Terauds. Again, I did not get a picture at the show so this is off her website.


I hope you enjoyed the little tour of the show.




13 comments:

  1. I did indeed enjoy the virtual tour. Our local juried arts show in Northampton will be coming up soon and I will go, as usual, and, as usual, wish that I were filthy, filthy rich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beauties! And I WOULD wear one of those works of art masquerading as clothing. Absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy cow! the embroidery of soft grasses? wow! loved the lizard/dragon on the pot! the yard totems are VERY cool. amazing art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ellen I did -especially like the etchings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks and with your artistic eye I got a better change of seeing the truly lovely and unique. I look at these and wish I could do this stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the furniture a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a big tour. I do not recall a lot of cast glass artists back in the nineties and the new century. And, I've always wished I could do justice to diaphanous, flowing fabric. Those who could were just spectacular. They said "Darling," a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's so much here to admire, but I particularly like that "territorial" pot with the lizard circling the top.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some really nice pieces. This is a yearly fest I assume.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool! I was wondering if some of the folks would mind having pictures taken...

    ReplyDelete
  11. That would be a very nice show to be in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing artwork! That embroidery is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Thanks for sharing these beauties.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.