Thursday, March 19, 2015

gloomy and wet, but warm


All of a sudden 5 days have gone by. The days have been dawning overcast but the sun manages to break out in the afternoons for a couple of hours until it clouds up again around sunset. There's a mockingbird sitting out there somewhere just singing away. I can hear him through the open front door. I got up to rain yesterday morning but it cleared up by noon, and more rain this morning and while it has stopped, it is very gloomy out.

Last Friday I drove into the city sixish to pick up my grandgirl Jade who wanted to come spend the weekend. We poked around antique and junk stores in Wharton and outlying towns. We stopped in a new place that I thought was a small building and turned out to be a huge building full of stuff. Overall, the whole weekend I came away with two pressed class coasters, a blue glass salad plate, a little sock foot bunny for my daughter, and a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle. I also found a present for my sister for her birthday, no mean feat let me tell you. Jade had her own cache of treasures and gifts.


Monday I spent the morning digging up walking onions in the Little Back Yard. They are edible and totally invasive and come up thick every year. I didn't plant them, they were here when I got here but all they want to do is reproduce. Tuesday, I dug up my flowering senna which was not thriving. It's been planted there for two years I think but it has steadily declined and I finally decided to pot it and see if I could get it healthy again. Poor thing had been planted in thick black dirt/clay (and is in serious wilt right now). We have terrible dirt here. Sticky sticky stuff. Plants need new dirt and raised beds or really working an area with sand and compost and good topsoil. Yesterday it rained in the morning so I didn't get any outdoor work done. I've been trying to get some outdoor time before lunch and then work on art work for the commissions we have in the afternoon.

It's been a blah spring here. The flowering trees aside, things aren't blooming like they should be, late or lackluster. The overcast and wet days of winter have continued into spring. It did warm up but we haven't had our glorious sunny days with no humidity and flowers and buds busting out and busy bees and butterflies. The birds are chirpy but that's about all. I spent about an hour this morning pulling up clover from amongst the bluebonnets in front. It's been a banner year for clover at least. It's knee high everywhere and crowding out the bluebonnets. Marc finally mowed for the first time over at the shop and our little 'lawn tractor' was having a hard time of it. Our neighbor, Jimmy, was also mowing and took pity on him and came over with his big powerful 'lawn tractor' and mowed down all the clover for him and then went back and finished the yard he was working on.


The climbing roses in the crepe myrtle are doing their spring thing. As you can see, overcast and wet.

All right, off to get my hair cut.







10 comments:

  1. One thing I noticed about this past winter was so little sunshine, and that hasn't changed--yet. As tomorrow is the first day of spring, I expect spring! And sun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gloomy here today too until just a few minutes ago. The sun is sort of out.
    The birds don't seem to be upset though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is blooming here in Oregon and I might be inclined to drag my easel outside if it weren't so cold and wet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like the blooms you do have! i mowed quickly this week to get the clover before rain moved back in - forecast for 9 days straight. we'll see. can always use it, even if mud is up to our armpits at the barn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That rose is really nice. I have crocus going and lots of green. We haven't had any wet yet. I stopped in one CA town a few years back and commented how nice it was. The lady in the store said, "Today and the other 7 sunny days of the year." The rain can be tough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the smell of those wild onions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rose is a wonder and everything looks very green - still quite brown here, though I've seen one or two green shoots in the hedges

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that was a nice neighbor! I hope you guys get some nice spring sun before you head into full on summer down there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sun is out here, but everything is covered with snow. Yep, cold spring.

    I showed the Little Princess your scallions and she says, "I'll help did if I can eat some!" lol

    Those flowers are doing a great job decorating that tree...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wet sounds good to me about now.. our wet is still white. Gotta love that kitty tail hanging through the back of the chair.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.