Wednesday, August 24, 2011

speaking of endless summer...




The movie was on TV the other night and boy did it bring back some memories.

Endless Summer came out in 1966. I was 16 and a surfer girl and I probably went to see it with my high school heart throb. Two years earlier, given the choice of seeing the Beach Boys or the Beatles in concert, I chose the Beach Boys. I never did see the Beatles in concert.

If you are unfamiliar with Endless Summer it was the quintessential surfer movie. It followed two young surfers, Mike and Robert on their quest for the perfect wave following summer around the globe during the inhospitable California coast winter. They traveled down the western coast of Africa to South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Tahiti and Hawaii looking for and surfing beaches that had, in some cases, never seen a surf board. They found their perfect wave which, after all, turned out to be a little boring and predictable after the thrill of it wore off. They were often told by the natives when they were disappointed by the lack of surf...'You shoulda been here yesterday'. A little quip that still has a place in my vocabulary and I wonder, when it slips out, if the hearer understands the context. Probably not at this point in my life.

Anyway, here's a little trailer.




7 comments:

  1. "A dazzling ode to sun, sand and surf." How could I not have seen that movie? I've never really surfed--tried it once but not to earnestly.

    It's fun to have those little quips, even if you're the only person in on it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally missed out on the surfer gig- living in the middle of the inland wasteland may have had something to do with it- now I want to go back in time and do that surfer thing- with YOU! Would be so fun and sunburny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I must e-mail you on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. With the hurricane approaching I wrote friends in NC and asked how the waves were. LOLIt was hard to be a surfer here, but I tried. Last year I parasurfed on a lake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've seen the movie except while under the influence of mild hallucinogenics. I should give it another look. I remember loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny how we remember who we saw certain movies with :). I never saw this.

    Thanks for the sweet note!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.