Saturday, May 8, 2010

sleepwaking




Two nights of sleeplessness have left me feeling thick headed and listless. I have laid around all morning in a semi-doze sometimes reading, sometimes just sitting with my eyes closed and occasionally wandering around outdoors. It's 2 in the afternoon and I haven't even gotten properly dressed yet, still wearing my lounge-around-the-house clothes.

I finally became animated enough to fix some fish tacos for a late lunch from the left over fried catfish from yesterday's lunch from Freddie's. Freddie's is our favorite lunch spot here in Wharton when we have failed to provide enough groceries here at the house, a common occurrence. Freddie's is a little quickie mart with a steam table. His cook is an older black lady who we have tried to recruit to our own kitchen many times. She just laughs.

It's been softly overcast today which I'm sure has contributed to my lethargy. We've had a steady breeze for the last several weeks and it continues today causing the wind chimes to give us a near constant gentle serenade. Even though earlier this week the temperatures have been reminding us that summer is near, today has been pleasant so the doors and windows remain open.

Needless to say, all things have gone undone today.


15 comments:

  1. We all need a day like that now & then. I had one a couple of months ago & when I could tamp down my protestant work ethic guilt (I have a VERY mild case anyway) I just went with the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleeping badly not only makes for a rough night, it can compromise the following day in a major way, too. I'm sorry you've been having difficulty sleeping.

    Freddie's sounds funky and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some days (and nights) are just like that ... Hope you catch up on your sleep and regain your energy soon ... Happy Mother's Day Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the sound of your day. Comfy, drowsy......nothing like mine. Saturday's round these parts are git ur dun day with the grands....I'm pooped....but I sure liked reading about your day...lovely.
    (((hugs))) until next time

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need time to catch up with your body. Rest up. Let everybody else fend for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate not being able to sleep... but if I get the chance (which isn't often, but..) i love to have pajama days where i get nothing done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Though I love a lounge around day...one with little or no sleep is not relaxing in the least. I sure hope you finally get some sleep.
    Hugs
    And Happy Mother's Day
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had the same kind of day here too and since I didn't sleep one wink on Friday night I slept on the couch from 8 am to 6:30 pm [whole day] waking up occasionally to have a sip of ginger ale.

    I need to break this cycle tho' - because I stayed up all night again. Argh. Guess I will have to stay awake for Mom's day tho' right?

    Relax and enjoy. The windchimes sound dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WE all need a day or two like that...not the lack of sleep part...but the enjoyment of doing nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey ellen - sleeplessness. yeah i live that! it leaves you in a middle ground, a sort of here or there space. fish taco. catfish i love so perhaps i have to figure out how i can get someone to rustle that up for me. steven

    ReplyDelete
  11. Get some sleep lady!

    Love the photo tho... how else could you have captured it unless you were up?

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A hot bath with organic-ish bath salts- advil pm...That's it!Otherwise it is just your body telling you to take it easy and enjoy the "not quite there ness of your state at the moment"...Happy Mom day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know what you mean. After pushing myself for days on end with very little rest there comes that day that I am worthless for getting much done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're entitled to a day like that every now and then.. especially if you're not sleeping well. I wish you a great night's sleep tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would think two nights without sleep would account for any lethargy without having to marshal up any more reasons. Bleah. Maybe Ellen's Head needs less stuffing?

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.