Thursday, May 6, 2010

time out for you little mister




I got up this morning all ready to start on the preliminary sketches for two possible jobs out there. Had my coffee while I followed the doings of the blog world and then settled down to be a productive human being after my month long hiatus. Not that I wasn't productive during that time, just not productive in an income producing way.

First thing on my agenda was to answer the email asking for a class description of the new workshop we are going to teach in August. Got my answer all typed out and hit send and all I got was an error message. WTF?! It all worked fine last night. Tried the other send server address with no better luck. Great. After a frustrating half hour, I finally rewrote the class description on Marc's computer and sent it off.

I'm fairly computer literate, can usually solve my problems but by 1 PM this afternoon, after delving deeply into settings and accounts and the connection doctor and the help and on and on and windows hidden in windows looking for that illusive one thing that had (according to the error message I finally found), for no apparent reason and with no direction from me, changed itself so that it allowed me to receive mail but prevented me from sending mail. After changing settings and changing them back ad infinitum, I found it. Unclicked the little box (and, btw, there are TWO of those little boxes and the first one you come across isn't checked) and voila!, I could now send mail.

Unfortunately, I could no longer receive mail.

Geez Louise and Holy Mother. Totally disgusted, I turned it off, unplugged it and went to run a couple of errands while Imac had a little time out in the corner to contemplate the error of it's bad behavior.

I did, eventually, find the new error message that directed me to the solution, changed the setting and I can now not only send mail, but receive it as well. It only took me All. Friggin'. Day.

So now all is right with the world and I'm having a margarita...or two...or three.


22 comments:

  1. Oy. Don't you just love how modern technology is such a time-saver?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a strong woman. I would have pulled out the blender much earlier in the process. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers my dear. At least you are computer saavy enough to know what to do and where to go....I am just a giant duh monster when it comes to this contraption. Oh well, I can program my VCR and text and listen to an IPOD so I'm not a total loser....pour me one cutie.
    (((hugs))) until next time

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a time I would be right there with Cynthia! [funny!] I don't blame you...I am not computer literate and I have to ask the kids - yeah, THAT is so ego boosting. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you should have started with the alcohol in the first place and just got someone else to fix it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep! I agree! Should have had the drink first...then tackled the problem. HA!
    Glad you got it figured out!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can hear the time suck. Slrrrrp!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you enjoyed your margaritas!

    Computer related issues are the top of my "despise" list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since Dr. M spent most of last weekend debugging my computer, I can relate. Perversely I was mad at HIM for keeping me from my computer. I have no sense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That drink sounds good. I need one too!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "... time out in the corner to contemplate the error of it's bad behavior" made me laugh out loud. Pour me one, too, please!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gad, I hate days (and sometimes very late nights) trying to fix computer glitches. Glad you got it fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with Cynthia. Better late than never tho! Salud!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This Mercury retrograde is really a bitch. It'll be over with in a couple of weeks, thank God.

    I often give machines time outs. Even when I had a car, sometimes if it was acting up, I would just let it sit for a couple of days. Sometimes the problem worked itself out. Who knows why?

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's nothing like a bit of inexplicable computer mischief to drive one mad. From this account it sounds like you remained much calmer that I would have done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I swear computers conspire to make us insane!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I get so stressed out when my computer goes wonky. Same thing when I used to have a car. I just feel so helpless. If it can't be fixed by turning it off and on again, I'm pretty much lost. Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ALL DAY. I have an iMac. Yours better not be teaching mine some bad habits. Smile.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How frustrating! At least you got it fixed! And I'll have a Margarita with you! Cheers and a Happy Mother's Day!!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.