Saturday, May 15, 2010

art on wheels




Last weekend was the Art Car Parade in Houston. We didn't go, didn't go even when we were in the city. We don't go due to our general aversion to huge crowds and huge traffic jams. When it takes longer to find a place to park, trek to the event and then make it home through the massive exodus of traffic than the length of time spent at the event it sort of takes the thrill out of the day.

The Art Car Parade started in 1988 with only 40 cars. 'Cars' is a loosely held term as it includes roller skates, bicycles, motor scooters, golf carts, floats, really anything on wheels, as well as actual cars. We did go to the first few all those years ago but now it attracts 250+ entries from all over the US, Canada and Mexico and crowds of a quarter of a million people (that's 250,000 for those of us who are mathematically challenged). The first Art Car Parade in Houston was, I believe, the first of it's kind and although there are now similar events across the country, the one here is the largest of it's kind. You can read more about the history of the Art Car Parade here


Because so many of the entries are from Houston, it's not unusual to occasionally see one when you are driving around town throughout the year. You can however, see any number of them at one time at the Art Car Museum which happens to be in my Houston neighborhood. It's one of my favorite places to go with the grandkids. There's a nice slide show of 18 images of some of the art cars here.

Here's a sampling of cars that were in this year's parade. All images via the Orange Show's website photo album page. If these aren't enough for you, go here for over 300 images.













13 comments:

  1. I'm rooting for the bunny mobile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are all fabulous!!!
    I hear you about the crowds though. That does take the fun out of it.
    Oh well!! Nice photos
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the photo of you in the orange tights Ellen!! ;-) You Texans are pretty wild!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it....but I wouldn't even be able to stand the amount of folks. People are the reason I don't go to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiest anymore. Too old, too brittle, too fussy and that's sweet man. Hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesomely insane! I have always thought that the roads could be more entertaining, more colorful, more creative- alas, these would not be allowed on the interstate...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you actually explain how many a quarter million was? Really? LOL priceless - are there people that don't know how many that is? heehee too funny.

    I too am loving the bunny - but is it me or does the bunny looked a bit peeved?

    And the radio flyer wagon is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS Totally agree on the crowds thing. Happens here with stuff in DC all the time - we just avoid. The public trans is a joke when something is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep 'bugging' he who does it all to paint my VW bug green and turn it into a frog. Since that is now on all my literature and signs pertaining to the park, I thought it waould be a great idea. He who hates the words "I have had an epiphany" has vetoed my idea! That is one wicked looking rabbit!!

    Your strawbeery plants will give you a better yeild next year and the third year will go nuts!! Mine are in the third year and I started with just 6 plants. We are eating them in every way imaginable and freezing the excess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great imagination and skill used here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's extremely cool and of course i have to look at the three hundred extra images 'cause these are like a drug for me!!! can't stop wondering what's next! groovalicious. steven

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great parade! I like the Batmobile! Makes me want to decorate my car and enter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are awesome! I'd love to see that someday. I think I would brave the crowds and parking, etc., just to see some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that looks like great fun!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.