Thursday, December 17, 2009

long day ahead



I’ve been run out of the kitchen.  Obviously, my attempts to help instruct were not appreciated.  It’s not like I really mind.  I still have plenty to do to get ready for tomorrow.


Tomorrow we are going to do the first stage of the work for the altar window in the new chapel at John Wesley United Methodist Church.  Anyone catch the irony here...the non-religious person doing all this religious work?  What we are going to do tomorrow is to etch the 1 1/2" wide outline of the cross onto the existing glass.  This is a chemical process using a cream but messy in it’s own right.  You might recall I used it on the last job .


We don’t ordinarily work on site.  But both the processes we are using can be done on site.  After we drive for an hour and a half to get there.  I hope it doesn’t take more than 5 hours.  I also hope it only takes 3.  Because then we have an hour and a half drive back home.  We could have shortened the drive to 45 minutes but then we would have had to spend the night in town.  Which means we would have had to close up the house and schlep the cat back as well.  Seemed easier to go for the longer drive.



The other process is to glue the prepared jewels onto the existing glass as well.  We are going to try to get that accomplished in two days during the week between Christmas and New Year.  To that end I have also been selecting the colors and cutting the dicroic glass that is to be glued to the back of the various sized jewels.  I decided to arrange the colors warm to cool, yellows to blues.  I eliminated green so my colors are yellow, orange, red. pink, purple, blue.  Granted, I haven’t cut the purples and blues yet but it already seems a little weighted to the yellows.  Not sure what I think of that.  I guess it depends on if I can reconcile it with some sort of mythology or I decide it’s trite.


Of course, that only matters in transmitted light.  In reflected light, like at night, they will reverse from pale blue to gold.  Or they should and less than half of the total jewels have color anyway.


Oh well, long day tomorrow any way you look at it.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like a very involved and intricate process. You are very talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get kicked out of the kitchen on a regular basis. Although it's not true that I get in the way for just that result, I also don't complain about being banished LOL.

    The jewels look lovely so far - I can't wait to see the finished piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard work, and quite dangerous too. It seems to me that God appreciates all we do, whatever we call ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I how you have a very productive day. Like Bonnie said, "sounds like a very involved and intricate process", so I wish you peace of mind and lots of creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll impersonate the NIKE persona, "You can do it!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see pictures of this when you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't particularly enjoy cooking, so I WISH I'd get kicked out of the kitchen and have someone else take over :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did get the irony, but didn't want to say anything. Maybe God is talking to you Ellen! "You cannot escape me, Ellen Abbot!" LOL

    PS: LOVE the jewels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The jewels are beautiful all by themselves. Please share your finished work, I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the beautiful explosion of gems - wow!!

    As for the kitchen, I am the one who kicks others out. I'm a real diva chef - insufferable, in other words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. look absolutely beatiful and am looking forward to seeing more pictures as the project progresses.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.