Sunday, August 30, 2009

gone by

ripening rose hips


I have a feeling that this might be the last lazy weekend for a while.  Next weekend, well next Wednesday really, we leave for Denver and return on Sunday.  Our neice is coming of age and there will be services and parties.  We’re going a few days early to have the opportunity to see some friends we haven’t seen in about 6 years and to meet the architect that got us the big residential job in Colorado Springs last year.  We might even get to go over to the house and see it.  That would be really cool because, though of course I saw each individual panel intimately as we worked on them, I only ever saw it complete on paper at about 1/4th full size.  Part of this job was two walls...the wall around the shower and the wall around the toilet in the master bath, about 24 linear feet in all.  We also did the front door and 7 interior doors.  I haven’t seen even a photo of it because the owner has not allowed any pictures to be taken of the house but apparently he’s not adverse to us coming to see it.  Anyway, this post is not about that job. 



purple coneflower empty seed head


I say this might be the last lazy weekend because now that August is finally coming to an end and summer is over, is really over after Labor Day, people are going to start waking up.  Already I feel myself stirring.  The piece is finished for the Mint Museum’s gala and I have finally started work on some waxes to get the two boxes I started last year finished.  Initially, these two pieces were one but although I loved the way the top came out and I loved the way the box came out, I didn’t love the way they looked together.  This top was actually the third idea I had for the box.  The first one didn’t get made.  The second one I couldn’t figure out how to make it work.  This one looked great in my head on the box, which is about moon phases and mountains, but the reality didn’t hold up.  So now I have come up with my fourth idea for the top and I really think this one is it, but just in case I’ll fall back to my second idea even though I still don’t know how to make it work.


The cool air in the last few mornings has not only got me back in the studio, it is also making me think about working in the garden.  I have plants to plant, others to move, flower beds to expand, ponds to put in, a shop to build. a patio to lay.  Even the cat feels it.  She has been busy striking terror into the hearts of birds and reptiles all morning.



sunflower seeds almost ready


This has been a long slow summer.  I have submitted many proposals this year and the work has been so slow coming in.  I’ve been expecting deposits on two very nice jobs all month.  I also have had another very good proposal accepted and anticipate their deposit soon.  The race has been on all month but no one seems to want to win it.  Now that summer is ending people are going to wake up and say, whoa, it’s September.  When did that happen?

18 comments:

  1. I'm also bracing myself for a wild ride come real autumn. Great images of summer's completiong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When did that happen, indeed!

    And just so you know... it won't be end of summer here until November, so I'm going back to bed. Your long list of To-Do's made me exhausted.

    LOVE the photos. So hard to believe thistles and pods and seeds can be so lovely, but you've proven they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ellen, i've had the slowest, (it feels bad to say this but here goes) laziest, summer in a long time. i got lots of things done, did heaps of biking, blogged like there's no tomorrow - which i find is a good way to work - read stacks, listened to stacks, loved my family up and down but really it was all on my own terms. so nice. now i am returning to my work - teaching - which is so so good for me that it honestly doesn't feel like work. more like hard play.
    i am excited for you to have the opportunity to see your work in a home. that must be amazing!!!! those lucky people!!! have a lovely day. steven

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm beginning to feel every week go by this way. It sounds like you'll have an eventful time of it though. Have a great, safe trip to Denver.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, had to delete that one because I keep misspelling everything!

    Anyway, I agree the fall will be busy. We also have some projects that should take off. I have a hump to get over, but then things should come together.

    The panels in the house in Colorado sound amazing. Be sure to let us know how they look. I hope those new jobs come through soon for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was 54 degrees here when I woke up this morning! It's a fluke, but I am loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those photos were great. Close up, they all seem like they're different things entirely.

    I too feel like I'm gearing up for a big push, although in my case, it's studying for an accounting qualification (which made sense when I booked it, but now...). Your list just reminds me of all the things I should have done and haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The windows are open at the manor today and lovely cool air is filtering in. I am waking up, too, and feeling fall tickling me back to my senses. Ah, rebirth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some of us want summer to last a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pictures ... I am eagerly awaiting the end of summer because the temperature will drop from 45 and perfection will winter!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am also looking forward to winter. I find the crisp cool mornings invigorating. It will be a little strange to still have a full park this winter....I usually hibernate and do lots of indoor stuff without interruption. Time will tell.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really cool photos today ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ellen
    I hope that your promises of work come through...

    I love your pictures of seed heads, they are so architectural...amazing structures...

    Happy days

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have "plants to plant", and presumably plans to plant plants. Crumbs, my tongue is getting all twisted.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was in the 60's here in East Texas this morning! Fall is definitely on the way. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful images of the end of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful images of summer's end.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.