Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Texas trivia


Lover of Life from Life in the Second Half posted some interesting facts about Lake Tahoe a few days ago and ended her post, as she frequently does, asking a question, in this case about interesting things from where you live.  So here’s some interesting things about Texas.



76 percent of native born Texans still reside in the state, the largest percentage of any other state.


In Texas, it's illegal to put graffiti on someone else's cow.


People who moved to Lockhart, Texas in the 1950s are still considered by natives of the town to be newcomers.


It is 801 miles from the most northern point to the most southern point in Texas.


Farms and ranches cover nearly 80% of the state’s land area.


In the 1860s, longhorn cattle outnumbered people in Texas by 9 to 1.


Texas has three of the 10 most populated cities in the US...Houston, Dallas and San Antonio.


While Texas was a republic, it’s panhandle extended into modern day southern Wyoming.


The deadliest natural disaster in American history occurred in Galveston TX, the 1900 hurricane that killed between 6,000 and 8,000 people.


6 flags have flown over Texas...Spain, France, Mexico, The Republic of Texas, The Confederacy and The United States of America.


Texas is the only state to enter the United States by treaty instead of territorial annexation.


The name ‘Texas’ comes from the Hasinai Indian word ‘tejas’ meaning friends or allies.


More species of bats live in Texas than in any other part of the United States. 


The Aransas Wildlife Refuge is the winter home of North America's only remaining flock of whooping cranes. 


If you drive to Los Angeles CA from Houston TX roughly half your trip is through Texas.

8 comments:

  1. That's impressive! I must say that I have a strong affection for Austin. I love its music scene. Thanks for all of the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fun post. And informative. You saved me a possible jail sentence. Just this morning I contemplated a trip to Texas where I might well have had the urge to spray paint "Got Milk?" on a grazing cow. Whew! ;)

    PS the word verification is "vachedis".. vache is French for cow. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Texas facts here! You've painted a great picture of just how large the state is, Wow! 800 miles from north to south. I live in CT, so tiny by comparison. Lots of personality in your fun facts, very apparent the state is much loved!

    (P.S. I'm not sure if my comment went thru first time, so I'm resending!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was fun! I'll keep the graffiti thing in mind next time I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you know your Texas stuff! I am not as well informed about Mo. I will not write on anyone's cow if I go to Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, some I knew, but I must confess, I googled the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much, Ellen. Texas is very interesting, especially the fact that 76% remain in Texas! Nevada has mostly people from other parts of the country making up it's population. It was the fastest growing state for 11 years. I'm a native, fourth generation, and people are always amazed when they ask where I'm from.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting and funny! Lucky cows, protected by law like that! :))

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.