Tuesday, April 28, 2009

entertainment, the movie version

Big Trouble In Little China was on TV the other night, one of my favorite movies.  I’m in love with Kurt Russell and I’m only slightly mollified by the fact that he hooked up with Goldie Hawn.  I’m also in love with Val Kilmer in Willow.  And the Arab guy in the Brendan Frasier Mummy movie.  The mummy guy was no slouch either.  And that elf guy in the Lord of the Rings.  Most recently (OK, so I don’t go to the movies that often), I’m in love with Robert Downey Jr in Iron Man.  Handsome virile alpha males all.


As you can see, my entertainment preferences run to the fantastical.  I don’t want reality in my entertainment.  I live reality and reality TV I totally don’t get.  Other favorite movies include The Princess Bride, Time Bandits, Ghostbusters (there's more but I can't think of them right now).  The cable TV series, Firefly, that almost no one saw and the movie Serenity that ties it all up are also favorites.  Firefly is a western in space and I loved westerns growing up and science fiction so Firefly gets me twice.  


And let us not forget those great B grade scary movies...The 50 Foot Woman, The Colossal Man, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Attack of the Puppet People and (my all time favorite) Invasion of the Body Snatchers.  My bedroom was at the end of a long dark hall and it took an honest-to-god act of bravery to go to bed after the midnight movie.


The most recent film I’ve seen, though, is The Fall.  I rented it last weekend on the recommendation of an acquaintance.  It’s a beautiful film about the relationship between a young man and a little girl, both in a hospital healing from broken bones.  He tells her a story to entertain her but has an ulterior motive.  This film falls into the category of art films, definitely not mainstream and not silly or funny but it is visually stunning.  I could watch it again without the sound, just for the visuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.